s i x t e e n

you're so selfless

~

"Chaeyoung, can you hear me?" 

Chaeyoung's eyes fluttered, and her lips parted slightly yet only a faint gasp replied. Instead she nodded, weakly, and moved her fingers ever so slightly. Yongsun took a deep breath and instructed the other nurses to leave considering all is taken care of, hopefully. She waited a few minutes - a dreadful silence squeezing itself in - before looking up from her clipboard, "It's a good thing it was called right away, we were able to give Chaeyoung more time." Solar smiled.

Chaeyoung's mother wearily stepped forward, her hands clasped together, "How is she?" Her voice was light and feather like.

Yongsun switched glances between Chaeyoung's mother and Tzuyu before letting out a sigh, one that trembled slightly. She turned towards the two, her fingers clutched tightly onto the clipboard and Tzuyu swore that if Yongsun's grip got any tighter the cardboard surface would crack. "I'm sorry." Her voice was faint, but it caused the room to drown in slight despair, "Chaeyoung's heart is getting worst and it seems as if her body is slowly starting to follow through. Even if we do try to give her the heart that was planned in the first place, her body will only reject it."

Tzuyu's fists clenched, "So had we gotten the heart a little earlier, Chaeyoung's body would've still accepted it?"

Yongsun shook her head cautiously, "No. Chaeyoung's condition had already gotten worst three months ago and I-.." She stopped and caught herself from shedding a few tears, "I just thought that we could have taken a chance and tried to deliver a transplant. Unfortunately, Chaeyoung's system isn't capable for such a heavy surgery. It will only cause stress and may result to.." Yongsun stopped, figuring it was best to leave it there.

Tzuyu's eyes widened and she quickly turned around, supporting herself with the table. Yongsun saw how the younger girl's shoulders shook ever so slightly, how slight droplets of water fell onto the wooden surface and the muffled sobs that left her lips. The doctor looked away from the sight, figuring it wouldn't help with her own emotional control. "We can still try to find ways; however, in Chaeyoung's case it will be hard. Thank you-" Yongsun took in a shaky breath, 

"-And I'm sorry."

~

"Tzuyu-?" Sana's eyes widened when the younger girl had suddenly barged into Momo's hospital room, head hanging, and digging her face into the crook of Sana's neck. 

"Please let me stay here for a while." Is all she mumbled and Sana couldn't help but hear the rasp voice was Tzuyu had responded with. It was low and Sana almost couldn't hear it through the loud air conditioning in Momo's room. Sana nodded slowly and ran her fingers through Tzuyu's jet black hair, her eyes softening as she started to hear sniffles. 

Momo met her eyes and her lips curved into a frown, averting her eyes away. They didn't have to ask. They didn't need to let their curiosity wonder; they knew who this is about. It's almost as if it was a given, almost like Tzuyu's silent cries were enough to give away what had bothered her; which it was. Sana tugged Tzuyu closer, her eyes soon watering once she let the younger girl let tears spill out. Muffled chokes of her cries echoed in the room and soon enough Sana joined her, Momo following soon after.

Sana couldn't even muffle out proper words because the only thing that left her lips were sobs, cracked sobs that made her fingers feel weak. Their smiles had faded into the solemn atmosphere, running along with the wind and being replaced the darkened skies. The room had been filled with cries that were muffled behind their shoulders or their own palms.