e i g h t

Maybe, just maybe. Things will be ok.
~

Everything was a blur.

The only thing she remembered were the pained eyes she locked with. Mina remembered how her heart pounded against her chest, continuously as she held Chaeyoung's limp body. She remembered how tears fell from her eyes, staining her cheeks.

That's all she remembered before she herself had fainted.

"Morning."

Mina opened her eyes slowly, a distorted image of a familiar voice hovered over her blurred view. She took a few seconds, adapting to the bright light blinding her. "Sana-" She muttered, her voice was gravel, almost like she had lost it.

"Before you say anything-" Sana smiled, "Chaeyoung's fine."

Mina's heart relaxed against her. Her nerves no longer tense like a few hours ago. She felt at ease with the news that were brought to her. "Can I visit her?"

Sana sighed, "Maybe not right now. Chaeyoung needs all the rest she can get right now." She sat on the seat placed near Mina's white hospital bed. So this is what if feels like to be on this bed. Mina imagined that Chaeyoung would be sleeping soundly in her hospital room, eyes closed from relaxation and not from any pain.

"Mina can we talk?"

"Sure." Mina turned to Sana, her eyes looked a little tired but she still tried to be attentive.

"Mina, I don't want you to get mad." Sana breathed in, "But I've wanted to talk about this for quite some time and maybe this is the right time to say it."

Mina looked away, she had an odd feeling that crept up her back. I know where this is going. She, however, let Sana talk, listening closely to what the older girl had to say. "You probably already guessed it, but it's about Chaeyoung." Sana cautiously looked up at Mina, noticing how the younger girl seems to avoid her eye contact sent anxious thoughts throughout Sana's mind. "Actually, maybe we shouldn't-"

Mina shook her head, "No. Tell me what's been on your mind." She muttered, though Sana could see the heart break threatening to show in the younger girl's eyes.

Sana sighed, "Mina. Tell me the truth, is Chaeyoung really just a friend to you?" Sana softened her eyes, "Or is she more than that?"

It took a few minutes. And during those few minutes, Sana felt the tension rise, the thick air envelope the two of them. Sana waited patiently, hoping it would be what she wished for, but she knew that what she's expecting will leave Mina's mouth instead. "I..Don't know." Mina looked away from Sana's gaze.

Sana grabbed Mina's hand, hoping her warmth would bring out the truth. "The truth, Mina. I need the truth." She smiled, though it was moreso pity rather than joy. Mina stared into Sana's eyes, hoping that maybe she can sputter out the no she was looking for. But instead, the tears that were brimming her eyes had finally broken through the walls.

Mina cried, looking down to hide her tears but it didn't serve any purpose. That's when Sana knew the truth. She sighed, wrapping her arms around the younger girl, hoping it was comforting. She was afraid this would happen, but Sana already saw it from a mile away.

Sana knew about Chaeyoung's condition. And maybe it would've been better if Mina fell in love and they were soulmates, but that wasn't the case.

Mina fell in love with someone-

-who wasn't suppose to be hers.

~

"Tzuyu?"

"Hm?"

"When do you think my time will come?"

Tzuyu turned around, facing the older girl on the hospital bed. She sighed, her eyes narrowing, "You know I don't like questions like that, Chaeng."

Chaeyoung chuckled, looking up from the book she was reading. "Just answer the question, Tzu." She smiled softly, putting the novel down. Conveniently, the novel Chaeyoung was reading was about a boy who was slowly losing his lifeline and during the time he had left, he enjoyed his final moments with the woman he loved. Rather than travelling to places people would've dreamed of going, the boy in the novel decided he much rather spend that time with his lover.

Chaeyoung didn't like it.

"I-" Tzuyu looked down at her lap, "I'm not sure when your time will come. But maybe it won't yet." The younger girl smiled sadly as she looked up at Chaeyoung, her best friend. Chaeyoung only hummed, bringing the novel up to her face once again.

The book was intriguing, but Chaeyoung felt as if the boy was selfish. She knew how painful it would be for the girl after the boy's time finally diminishes, so Chaeyoung wondered as to why the boy would want such a thing. Doesn't he want her to be happy? Wouldn't his death make her sorrowful? Wouldn't it hurt her? Chaeyoung sighed. She subtly threw the book aside, not wanting to read further.

She chuckled to herself, That boy is too selfish.

"Excuse me?" Chaeyoung and Tzuyu looked to the familiar voice, their eyes smiling slightly as they saw who the guest was.

Tzuyu stood up, "Doc, is everything ok?" The woman, who was Chaeyoung's doctor, nodded before glancing at Chaeyoung. Her eyes looked rather excited and almost happy; Chaeyoung wished she can match it.

"Actually, Chaeyoung." The doctor smiled, "We have good news!"

Chaeyoung and Tzuyu looked at each other before meeting eyes with the doctor. The former arched an eyebrow in confusion, awaiting the news that would apparently bring life into her world. The doctor walked beside Chaeyoung's hospital bed, she put her hand over the younger girl's shoulder and smiled brightly.

"Chaeyoung, we found you a heart donor!"

~

Finally updated. I apologize for the inactivity, however, I do wish that those who read this to check out my author's note in my Closer to You book, it will explain my lack of updates. The updates will still be slow since I'm still trying to fix a few things in my personal life.

Anyways, thank you for reading this chapter!🐧🐯