t e n

Broken Rules
~

"What are we supposed to do?"

Is what Chaeyoung had asked her. The tune of her voice was stable, however her eyes seem to be the one hiding the pain. Pain that seemed to sympathize with what Mina felt. Mina only stared, her lips quivering at the silent response amidst the deafening silence.

Mina felt her feet buckle against the hospital flooring. Her skin shivered as the lightest bit of wind from the air conditioner rushed against her body. Words were caught at the back of her throat and she didn't how to respond to such a broad question. She opened her mouth, hoping something comes out but to no avail.

Chaeyoung's fingers slowly wrapped itself around Mina's trembling hands, "What are we suppose to do?" She asked again, this time her eyes looked directly into Mina's. They were shaking and Mina was afraid that they would look away sooner or later.

Mina swallowed her fears. Her heart continuously pounded against her ribs, as if it wanted to escape from it's cage. She choked on her tears before wiping them away, "I-.." Mina breathed in, blinking once before looking desparately into her eyes.

"Let's try." Mina sniffled, "Let's try to be together, Let's try. I-I know it will end badly but I just-I want to try being with you. Let's worry about the consequences later, let's just focus on now. On today. Let's just think of this moment." Mina cried, her knees failing to support her weight.

She slowly bent her back forward, leaning into Chaeyoung's fingers. Mina cursed this soulmate nonsense, hating it to its very core. She hated how they couldn't love so freely. Mina hated how her soulmate wasn't the girl in front of her.

Chaeyoung looked at the older girl, her eyes stinging ever so slightly. "Mina, I-"

"Hey we're back!" A voice boomed through the silent room. It's loud volume startling the two girls. Mina stood up, hastily wiping away her tears. She knew who that voice belonged to and she wanted to hide her damned tears as fast she can. Without saying anything, Mina rushed out of the room, her head hanging low.

Tzuyu raised an eyebrow, slowly walking towards Chaeyoung's bed. "Is Mina ok? Sana and I bought a few snacks so we can eat together. We were hoping to celebrate but.." Tzuyu trailed off, looking concerned.

Sana sighed. She walked over to the younger girl, her palm then placed over Chaeyoung's. Sana stared into her eyes, her own filled with worry and sympathy, "Is everything ok?" Sana had a feeling of what happened, but she didn't want to add to whatever had happened between the two.

Chaeyoung looked away, "I don't know."

Tzuyu exchanged glances with the japanese girl but left Chaeyoung alone. She approached the table nearby, placing the filled plastic atop. Sana quickly looked at the patient, and saw Chaeyoung's fist balled against her white blanket.

Sana quickly looked away but for a second she thought she saw Chaeyoung's white blanket stained with little droplets of water.

~

What was I thinking.

Mina dug her face into the palm of her hands. Her shoulders continued to shake but she paid no attention to calming it. Mina let her emotions rush to her mind and her thoughts, ignoring the several looks casted upon her.

The past few minutes were a blur after she had run off but when she finally got to rest her thoughts, all the words she's spoken rushed back into her mind. Mina let out a frustrated groan, unaware of how to calm the storm stirring up within her own chest. She was afraid of what Chaeyoung will say in the beginning yet she still chose to speak her words, Way to go Mina. She told herself.