*Hey... |*

No, I can't say that. Backspace, backspace, backspace.

*Mason.. |*

No, no, no. Not that either. 'Mason,' really? Am I trying to sound ominous? Try again, Amara. Damn it. How am I supposed to text him? Where am I supposed to even begin? Should it be formal? Informal? Short? Dry?
I throw my head back in frustration.

*7pm. My place, we can talk.*

Sending. Sent. Delivered——Read.

I feel my stomach turn, bile rising in my throat. I stuff it back into my pocket and tap my fingers against the wall, the anxiety in my chest making it feel as though it could quite possibly burst.

-Buzz. Buzz.-

My eyes widen as I feel my phone buzz against my thigh, only moments after my message was sent. I sit for a second in silence, trying to convince myself to look at my phone—and not smash it into a thousand tiny pieces, move country and change my name.

My hand shakes as I retrieve it from my pocket. My whole entire body feels as though it's coursing—but with what? I have no idea.

*Your place isn't your place, anymore, Amara. It was my first stop. 7pm, Cove-Lake Hotel—it's where I'm staying.*

My mouth feels dry at the sight of the message, and I mentally facepalm. Of course 'my place' isn't the one he remembers, I moved three times in the duration of those two years.
Seven pm. Seven pm. Seven pm. That's seven hours I have to prepare myself—to prepare myself for something I'm still not ready for. But something I know I'll never be ready for.

*Okay.* I reply simply.

My phone buzzes once more and the number I haven't yet saved as his, flashes onto my screen.

*Thank you, Amara.*

I place my phone back into my pocket and take a deep breath. I need a distraction, I can't sit around for seven hours with the impending doom of our meet-up hanging over my head. Today is the worst day for me to have time off, I need to be busy. I need to be distracted.

A light bulb glows in my head as I suddenly realise there is one person I can visit at work today. Jake.

—————

12:47pm—

I plop myself down on a stool and lean over the counter, waving to get his attention. He laughs and makes his way over, leaning on his elbow from the opposite side.

"Hi," I chirp.

"Hey, Amara." he chuckles.

"You're the only one I can visit and work and not get yelled at," I shrug.

He laughs, "Do you want some food?"

"Yes please, I'm starving." I groan.

"The usual?"

"Yep," I nod, fidgeting with the bottom of my shirt.

Jake passes my order to a man with jet black hair, someone I haven't seen working here before. He looks over his shoulder and flashes me a small smile before turning back to his work.