XXIX

"Shawn get up!" Beyonce said to him.

He was sleeping and he looked so peaceful and it was irritating her. She was jealous that he was sleeping peacefully while she had barely slept at all. The baby kept kicking her all night and she got up from bed to pee like 30 times. Her back was also aching horribly. She knew pregnancies were uncomfortable but she wasn't fully prepared for it.

She looked back over at Shawn and he was still sleeping. She wanted so badly to hit him to wake him up but she decided against it once she looked at the time on the clock. It was 5 in the morning and she knew he'd have to get up in a few hours for a business meeting. She kissed her teeth unsure of what to do. She didn't want to wake Rosa, Taraji was probably in bed with Tyreese asleep and she wanted someone to be up with her.

Carefully she got up from her bed and made sure not to wake Shawn. She went to her dresser and grabbed some grey sweats and an oversized white tee shirt. She threw them on and crept downstairs to the guest room that her father was in. She gently knocked on the door and surprisingly she heard his voice.

"Come in,"

She opened the door to find her dad sitting on the bed reading a book. For as long as she could remember her father was a lover of books. He'd read anything that was put before him. Growing up his favorite thing to do was to read to her and Solange before bed. Sometimes she'd even go in his study just to listen to him read to her. She loved the sound of his voice and growing up that was the only peace she knew.

She sat down on the edge of his bed and he closed his book and placed it on the nightstand.

"What brings you down here bumblebee?" he said calling her by one of the many nicknames he had given to her as a child.

"I'm so uncomfortable dad,"

"What's wrong?" he said.

The look of concern on his face warmed her heart. She knew if the whole world decided to turn against her, her daddy would always be by her side.

"My back hurts so bad and my baby keeps kicking me,"

"Aw, I'm sorry you're in pain baby,"

"I don't know why she keeps kicking me daddy, I don't think she likes her mommy," Beyonce said causing both her and her father to laugh.

"Is there anything I can do to make you feel better bumblebee?"

"Yes, there is actually,"

"Well tell me,"

"Read to me," she said with a big smile on her face.

"I'm surprised. I missed reading to you,"

"I missed you reading to me dad. It always made me feel at peace,"

"Well I have the perfect book," he said.

He got up from the bed and went to his duffle bag that he had sitting in the corner of the room. He pulled out a brown leather book that had jewels all over it.

"What's that?" she asked once he sat back down on the bed.

"It's Tina's diary. I want you to understand her more,"

"Daddy, I forgave her,"

"I know you did but still, I want you to see the nicer side of her. The side I wish she would have shown you and Solange growing up,"

She nodded her head and nuzzled her head into her dad's shoulder and listened to him as began to read.

October 1, 1981