II

The cool breeze cut through Shawn's thin Polo sweater. It didn't affect him, he was used to the cold. He walked down the street to an old abandoned building. The same building that used to be his group home many years ago. He remembered the first day he came there so vividly. He was wearing a plain white thermal sweater with loose fitted blue jeans and some dirtied up timbs. It was a week after his birthday and he was now nine.

His mother had spent the whole day catering to him which was something he wasn't used to. His mother was usually a cold, uptight woman who didn't do formalities with anyone. Not even her own kids. For the whole day she did nothing but spoil him. Not with material things but with affection. After the day was over and the moon came out she told him to sit on the stoop and she would be right back. He waited all night and she didn't come back.

The next morning some workers found him sleeping and brought him inside. They gave him hot chocolate and blankets. After a week and they heard no word from any relatives of his they took him in and soon he became a ward of the state. He waited for his mother, and even now in his heart he still waits and longs for Gloria Carter.

"Aye yo Shawn is that you," he heard someone say.

He looked up and saw one of his old friends from back in the day. His name was Tyran, Jay hadn't seen the man in a few years.

"Aye yo wassup TyTy man," Tyran dapped Shawn up.

"Where you been at my nigga. Last I heard you was living it up boy,"

Jay couldn't help but laugh at his old friend.

"I just been maintaining man,"

"I feel you on that one man," Ty said with a light chuckle.

They both sat down on the stoop and Shawn noticed Tyran was still the same old Tyran he used to shoot dice with on the block. Nothing about Tyran ever changed and that's what Shawn appreciated. He himself hated change, even though he had changed a lot over the years. He used to be an ignorant kid from the hood who was only interested in slanging dope. Now he was a smart businessman.

"Well I gotta go man, work is calling me," Tyran just nodded his head, dapped him up again and left.

Shawn drove to his home. He walked in to be greeted by Tricia. Tricia was his girlfriend, if that's what you wanted to call her. Shawn just liked having someone around but her constant talking annoyed him.

"Hello baby boy," she said as soon he walked in the house.

She kissed him gently on his lips and he just smirked.

"You got dinner ready?"

"You know I do babe, your plate is already done,"

"Good,"

He walked into his dining room and looked at his feast. It looked delicious but as usual Tricia forgot to bake him a small cheesecake for dessert. He loved cheesecake and demanded to have some almost everyday. He also loved D'usse but of course Tricia didn't get that right either.

His blood began to boil and he balled his fist.

"Tricia!"

She came running into the dining room and he glared at her.

"You can't do nothing right," he spat at her.

"Shawn baby I'm so sorry I forgot the dessert,"

He rolled his eyes. It wasn't just the dessert, he had grown tired of her in general.

"Come here baby, it's okay,"

Tricia walked carefully to him and he embraced her. He kissed her sweetly on her lips then he pinned her against the wall attacking her with kisses.

"I love it when you're like this baby," she said.

"Mhm you sure you do?" he asked.

"Yessss," she whined and he laughed right before he punched her right in her face.

Her nose began to bleed and that made him even more angrier because a bit had got on his silk dress shirt.

"Go clean that up and go to bed!" Tricia nodded her head and hurried off into their bedroom.

Shawn took off his shirt and threw it in the washing machine for Tricia to get to later. He needed to find someone new quick because he's tired of having her now. She has served her purpose and her services are no longer needed.

He ate his food alone and in silence. When he was full he left the dishes there for to Tricia to clean in the morning. He went into his bedroom to find her laying on the bed reading a book. He looked at her and for some reason was disgusted by her. He never knew why he grew tired of women so quickly but he did. She looked so comfortable but little did she know she'd be gone very soon. 

Beyoncé sat down on her black leather couch and cracked open her old photo album. It was so old and things were so different now. Back then she was young and happy, for the most part. She stopped when she saw the picture of her aunt. She was so beautiful and more like a mother to her than her real mother was.

 She was so beautiful and more like a mother to her than her real mother was

Her name was Sade Adu. She was her mother's adoptive sister. Her grandparents found her aunt when they were visiting Nigeria. She was in a shelter with no one to look after her. According to her grandmother Sade caught her eye. She was sitting in a corner by herself humming and writing poetry. Her whole family adored music and writing.

Her aunt had even taught her how to sing. Beyonce was to shy to truly pursue that career path though. She was much more interested in humans and why people do the things that they did. That had always been a question that seemed to just linger in her mind.

"Beyonce,"

When she looked up she saw Taraji. She looked upset so when she flopped on her bed and started venting to Beyonce all she could do was listen. She didn't know what to say, she never truly knew what to say. Beyonce was horrible when it came to guys. She was 28 but at times possessed the naivety of a 16 year old school girl.

"I don't know what to do anymore. I'm tired of arguing with him Bey. He just doesn't do right,"

Beyonce sipped some of her wine that she had out earlier and just rubbed the small of Taraji's back. She knew that the moment Tyrese called Taraji would be happy again. That was just the way their relationship worked.

"Don't worry T. He'll come around, just be patient,"

"You're right Bey, I'm just ugh. I want him to propose. I'm tired of just dating,"

Beyonce couldn't relate. She was fine the way she was. She had her friend and her siblings, therefore she wasn't alone.