XII

I looked out the window of the car as my aunt Sade drove. Sade would always drive so recklessly, and road rage came frequently.

"Speed the f up!!" she yelled at the car before her.

"Calm down auntie," I said with a chuckle.

"Nawl man, she needa speed it up," her southern accent growing even thicker the angrier she got.

Solange was in the backseat with me and my father was in the passenger seat. My mom decided to stay home, she said she wasn't feeling well. I was so happy when she said that, she always knew how to make things horrible.

"I cant wait to see grandma and grandpa," I said with a huge smile on my face.

"Well i'm not so sure about going to see my momma but I am ready to see dad," Sade said.

Sade didn't get along with grandma very well. You can tell they cared about each other but the older Sade got, she began to have a mind of her own. Grandma didn't like when you disagreed with her. I loved grandma even though she acted so much like my own mother. The rest of the drive there was spent in silence. My heart beat began to quicken as soon as I saw the huge southern plantation style home. I loved coming here so much, the deep country and the horses always excited me. Grandpa even had a huge farm that he ran. He'd let me pick the best fruits and veggies ever. 

I hopped out of the car, with Solange following behind me. Grandma was on the porch with her hand on her hip. We ran up to her and gave her a tight hug. She smelled just like honeysuckle. 

"Hey granny," Solange and I both said in unison. 

"Hey cuties, I missed y'all so much," she said giving us kisses on the cheek

Soon daddy came up with our bags in our hands and Sade trudged behind him. Coming here seemed to be very bittersweet for her. Her and grandma shared a hug, that was something. 

"I missed you Sade, you should call your momma more," 

"Missed you too mama, where's daddy?" she asked. 

Grandma rolled her eyes. "He's in the living room, come on in," 

We followed grandma into the living room and there grandpa was, sitting in his recliner reading a book. He was always reading something. Aunt Sade ran up to him and kissed him on the cheek. He smiled at her and they engaged in a their own conversation as if no one else was there. Sade was a daddy's girl just like me. 

"Beyonce, Solange, come on and help me unpack y'all stuff," my dad said to us. 

We walked up the stairs and went into the bedroom that Solo and I always sleep in when we are here. It was decorated up just for us. Our names were adorned on the walls in big block letters. Instead of having two separate beds Solo and I shared one huge canopy king bed. There were pink and purple satin sheets on the bed and a handmade quilt on top of it. Granny made it when I was three and Solange was just a baby.