Chizu gave her report. But of course she also spent a great deal of time regaling the men about the superlative martial prowess of General Ame. Some of the other Hikiji commanders, who were latecomers to the war, like Lord Kaneko rolled their eyes at her fanciful tale. But for the veterans of her command, like Kenichi and Usagi, they felt differently. Kenichi was respectful of the General, and understood they never would be in the position they were without her. Usagi was in awe like Chizu, but it had a tinge of melancholy, for with every victory it drove her further away. As for the plan it was going well. All that remained was to wait until nightfall and plant the charges at the castle gates. There recce's primary purpose was to discern the best route to take to the bridge and where the point would do the most damage. For about an hour they debated about where to place the charge, the size of explosive and how many men would be needed to not only place it but those needed as protection. Too many men may give away their position. Too few and they could be wiped out if discovered. Soon a compromise was made. Chizu was confident with her course of action, as was Naishi and the other Captains. The Ninja detachment would set out at the hour of the tiger.

Though the plan for the gate was set, it would come to nothing if the forces in the camp weren't aware of the exact moment of the breach. Someone had to be sent to inform General Ame. So who to send? Kenichi raised his hand without a second thought. He was the best choice, as he knew the ground and would be easily recognised by the Hikiji and Geishu Pickets. But he was also one of Naishi's best, if not the best, commanders. And he may lose him for the battle to come, as there may not be time for him to return and of course he could be ambushed coming or going. There were so many variables and Naishi struggled with each one. So he decided on another course of action. Chizu was so fatigued by the last few days that she lost her composure and let out a deep penetrating sigh as she bowed to accept her new orders.

Thankfully she was given some time to eat and rest. Usagi escorted her to their tent, which they shared. Once out of sight of the camp, the pair embraced. Their kiss was long, but gentle, more like a whisper of words.

"I am proud of you, Chizu."

She pressed her forehead against his, but said nothing.

"Please be careful."

She could only smile.

"You mean so much to me."

Again she did not speak only touched Usagi's cheek.

"I'll leave you to rest."

Usagi departed and Chizu remained standing trying to understand what was happening. It was all so new and confusing. She had been in countless battles, but never a full war. And in such a conflict human emotions change and become distorted. What is thought of as deep affection in the midst of fighting for your life, becomes something altogether different once the battles have ended. Would that befall Usagi and herself? Chizu didn't know. But what she was certain of beyond a doubt was that she was tired. And a few scant hours of forced rest would not be enough to alleviate her weariness.

So began the anxious times for both sides, as everyone in field knew the final battle was fast approaching. Neither side had much left for a lengthy siege or any continuation of hostilities. Even Yasu understood that if the battle failed his next course would be a truce of some kind; he'd had to involve the Shogun to take the sting out the situation. But he knew that his father would never stop in his ambitions. He'd bide his time and the entire world would be at war again. Yasuhira couldn't allow that to happen. If for nothing else than his rice bowl was already filled with the needs of heaven and he had been neglectful of that obligation for too long, to say the least. What's more Yasuhira needed peace. He needed to be alone with his daughter. He needed to begin his new life Tomoe. He needed so much that he wondered if he was demanding too much from the world. It wasn't so much to ask for when compared to what his father demanded. But perhaps that's what made it so dangerous to the powers that be. Such winsome philosophising right before a battle. Yasuhira smiled and shook his mind free from it all. He settled in for some rest of his own. He found that Akako was sound asleep, but she was alone, as Tomoe was still up and being commanding as usual. He settled in beside the girl trying desperately not to rouse her. But the girl was dead to the world, as she worked as hard as any man that day. So Yasuhira snuggled beside his daughter and spied the moon through the opening in his tent. The sight soothed him enough to finally go to sleep.