"One thousand fifty-five," Ten-K boasts proudly.

Counting his kills was a little quirk of his that Pasadena had grown to love in the short time that she had known them. Even though she didn't know his real name she could appreciate the goal he had set for himself. Apparently, he had a goal of killing ten thousand zombies before he died, and at a little over a thousand kills Pasadena was truly impressed. It was another thing in common that they shared. Pasadena wasn't her real name but was actually the name of the city where she was born. Her goal was to make it back home someday.

"Nice shot," Pasadena grinned as she lowered her binoculars once more.

"Thanks," He said with a small smile before he noticed that the group was now looking their way, "Oh crap! They saw us!"

Quickly he pulls the girl down behind the concrete barrier once more. In a hurry, they pack up all their supplies and stay low as they make their way over to the fire escape on the opposite end of the roof.

"Maybe we should wait them out and then check and see if there's any more supplies left after they leave," Pasadena said as Ten-K covered her while she began to descend the ladder.

"We can always go find supplies elsewhere," Ten-K pointed out while he began to follow her down the old rusty ladder, "There's not much left for us here anyway. It's about time we head to another town."

"You want to stick together?" Pasadena asked now that she was back on the ground safely.

"Yes, I mean I would like to if that's okay with you," Ten-K said nervously. She couldn't help but smile softly when she noticed his downcast eyes and fidgeting hands.

"I'd love to stick together, Ten. It's nice knowing someone has got my back out here in the apocalypse. Plus, you're not too bad to look at," Pasadena joked which caused an intense blush to bloom across Ten-K's dirt-covered face.

"Um, th-thanks. You're really pretty too by the way," He stuttered clearly caught off guard, "So, uh, do you want to stay on the lookout or go back to clear out the camp?"

"You're a better shot than I am, so, why don't you be the one to keep an eye on our guests?" Pasadena suggested and the boy nodded.

"Okay, meet me by the old well at the edge of town in an hour," He instructed.

"Give me two hours just in case I get caught up and need a little wiggle room," She decided and reluctantly he agreed. When she turned to move away he stopped her by grasping her wrist quickly.

"Fine, just stay safe, please?" Ten-K asked earnestly and she smiled softly at him.

"Of course, I'll see you in a few hours, Ten, I promise," The girl promised.

Slowly the green-eyed boy nodded and released her wrist. She gave him one last smile before turning and leaving. Even though she didn't turn back Ten-K watched her until she disappeared into an alley between two buildings. Once she was out of sight he waited a few beats more before turning and going his own way.

[][][][][][]

The busted can skipped across the gravel as Pasadena made her way down the road. With a few short strides, the can was in her path once more. Swiftly she kicked the can once more. She had been doing this for a few minutes and would probably continue for the next mile or so. With a sigh, the redheaded girl adjusted the strap of the duffle bag hanging from her shoulder. Along with the rucksack she already had on her back, Pasadena was able to efficiently pack the rest of her and Ten-K's stuff into the old duffle bag.

Shielding her dark eyes with her hand Pasadena tilted her head back and looked at the sun shining above her. A few weeks ago Ten-K had taught her how to figure out the time of day using by looking at the position of the sun. It was a skill that really did come in handy in the apocalypse. Wiping the sweat from her brow the girl decided to take a short water break.