Twenty Three

Ethan's POV

There rest of Thanksgiving break was fun. Spending a lot of time with family. Spending a lot of time with Emma.

But, eventually we had to go back to college. Midterms were this week, and Emma was stressing over all of her classes.

I tried to make her feel better, but she wasn't having it, so I just settled for bringing her a cup of coffee.

She appreciated it but I could tell she was still tense about school.

"Emma." I said.

"Hmm?" She hummed, not even looking up from her text book.

"Come on. You need a break."

"No, Ethan. I need to study."

"Emma."

"What?" She snapped.

"Why are you stressing yourself out, honey?"

She shut her book and put it next to her on her bed, and then she pulled her knees to her chest and broke down crying.

I scooted over so that I was next to her, and I pulled her to my chest.

"Emma, what's wrong?"

"I have to do good so that I can get into a good grad school. Otherwise I'm disappointing them."

"Emma, who are you gonna disappoint? Tell me." I said, gently tracing my finger down her spine.

"My parents."

"God damn it, Emma. Look at me."

She looked at me with her teary, icy blue eyes, and she had a look of concern mixed with stress and sadness.

"No matter what, Emma, they love you. I know they do. They just want you to be happy. They wouldn't want you to be this stressed over school."

"I need to switch majors." She said.

"Okay, well what are you thinking of?"

"Dance with a minor in business."

"Emma, that's great. I'm so proud of you, baby. You deserve to be doing what makes you happy. I'm happy that you're doing that for yourself."

She gave me a soft smile before wiping her tears away.

"What about you Mr. Defense Attorney?"

"What do you mean, Em?"

"Is being a lawyer what you truly want?"

"Yes. I grew up arguing with my twin brother all of the time. I'm good at it, and I know how to get people on my side. Mostly my sister, but yeah. I actually would love to be a lawyer."

"That's amazing."

I laced my hand into hers. "Emma, you're going to be okay. I promise. No matter what you decide to do. Don't stress over these exams, okay? Why don't we go get ice cream or pizza or something?"

"More like alcohol."

"Emma, you shouldn't be drinking alcohol right now. It'll make you feel even worse. Let's go get ice cream."