My Heart

Kakashi POV:

Jade and I were walking through the village, I had just returned from my mission and she was antsy. My mission had gone longer than anticipated, and I wasn't in the greatest shape when we came home either. Naruto had said there was something he wanted to tell me when he returned, but I haven't seen him since we got back. Jade was holding my arm as my hand was in my pocket, my other hand holding my Icha Icha book.

"Kashi, " I didn't mind the nickname, but honestly, Y/n was the first one to ever use the name. She must've been eight or so at the time. "Are you hungry?"

"What sounds good?" I asked, still reading.

"Ramen!" She detached herself and began jogging to the familiar stall.

I chuckled and put my book away before pushing the drape out of the way and sitting beside her. After ordered, we sat talking about her latest mission. She was helping with a farming issue this time around. That was one of the reasons I enjoyed her company, she was so pure of heart, always wanting to help others.

"Ah! I can't wait to eat." The cheerful voice of a certain blonde filled my ears and I glanced to see Naruto step in. "Kakashi-sensei?"

I could see he was racking his brain for what he wanted to tell me, but it was registering at the moment. "Naruto." I greeted. "Have you met Jade?"

Naruto sat down and leaned forward slightly on the counter, "Not yet. Naruto Uzumaki! Next Hokage, believe it!"

"Is he always so bubbly?" Jade whispered with a giggle.

"You get used to it." Not really.

"Here you go!" Ayame smiled as she sat our bowls down.

"Thank you!" We both said and Naruto ordered his.

Jade ate quietly, letting me wolf mine down like I normally do. I sat reading, seeing Naruto eye me curiously as I did. "Is something wrong?" I turned my head slightly.

"Y/n-sensei." His voice was low as if he was unsure of his words. At hearing her name, I closed my book and looked at him fully. "I saw her-"

"What?" I couldn't help my surprise.

Naruto was looking at the bowl that was sitting in front of him, full and still steaming, but it was as though his appetite left him. "She said she'd come home one day, but, " his head dropped further, "I don't know if I believe her." I was processing his words, he saw her, she talked to him and- "Why does everyone leave me?"

Naruto's words were sobering, a slap to the face and a kunai to the heart. I was being selfish and never stopped to think about how the boy felt. "Naruto, whatever her reason for staying away, I'm sure it's a good one."

"She sought me out."

"What do you mean?"

"She was talking to Pervy-Sage when I went to find him for dinner. Then, he left, leaving me alone with her. She-she said she just came to see me." His smile as a mixture of happiness and sadness. "I asked her if she wanted to see you- and her friends, she said it wasn't the time."

My heart raced, I wanted nothing more than to shake the boy senseless as I asked him a hundred questions. My palms felt clammy inside my gloves and I couldn't seem to focus on anything.

"Sweetie, " Jade placed her hand on my shoulder, making me jolt in surprise, "Who is he talking about?"

Naruto turned his head quickly and before I could stop the word vomit spewing from his mouth, he said it. "Y/n-sensei? She's Kakashi-sensei's girlfriend."