17) Promise.

"How many weeks would we have to stay here for then?" I asked him with a slight scowl on my face.

Giovanni scratched his head in thought which created his perfectly groomed hair to stick up at an odd angle, before replying he shrugged. "Honestly amore, I am unsure." It turned out that we would not be returning to his mother land as soon as I had previously hoped we would.

A certain redhead was currently hampering that.

"I promise you it will be soon Aurora, she is just still in hospital and it would not be right to leave without knowing if my baby was okay." That was what I was afraid of because if she willed it to be that could mean for a very long time even after the birth. Which left me in a really crappy position as I had already given in my resignation and that meant in two days I would officially be unemployed.

Despite how many times he had told me that he would be the one to take care of me financially that was not an option I would need to get a job. I was beyond annoyed and frustrated at this as it meant that I had dumbly given up my independence for an uncertain future. "Can you promise me something else instead?" I questioned as I stared at him from beneath my lashes.

"Anything baby." I smirked at the potential things he could have just bonded himself to and he chuckled nervously. "Within reason of course." He further clarified.

"Promise me that this is really what you want before I am truly stuck in situation that could leave me ruined." I frowned as I spoke to him and looked at the ground in front of me.

He cupped my chin, then my cheeks in his hands and tilted my face up towards him to meet his concerned hazel eyes. "I promise you that at this time and for the future I want this. I cannot make a promise other than that in fear that you end up being the one to ruin me." He spoke clearly and with as much honesty as he could muster in the declaration.

I nodded, for now, that was all the clarification I needed. We sealed our fate in a kiss and pulled back seconds later.

"I am assuming you want me to stay over tonight, right?" Giovanni smiled and nodded. "If you would do that for me I would be a very happy man."

Maybe the customs in Italy were different or maybe despite my age I had yet to reach the level of maturity that I tried to portray. As no matter how hard I tried, I could not wrap my head around meeting the woman, that would be bound to somebody you loved for as long as the child they shared lived. Technically it would not be my first time seeing her, but it would be the first time seeing her carrying the heir I deep down wished was in my belly.

For the strange occasion I wore a modest knee length summer dress and sandals, there was no need to dress up for somebody that I knew disliked me and was a lot more beautiful. I was not dumb to think otherwise that was one of the reasons that Gio had slept with her. "Are you excited?" I asked trying to keep my jealousy at bay.

"I am amore." Today was the day that they would find out what the sex of their baby was and for some reason the man I loved had decided that it would be a good idea to have me tag along.

Being as in love with him as I was a agreed somewhat reluctantly.

As standard Giovanni wore a deep green Armani suit and his golden brown locks had been tamed into its usual do following the mess I had made as I orgasmed this morning. Despite it being somewhat childish I gloated at that fact and laced my fingers through his as we stepped into the private hospital.

"Good afternoon Mr. Amelio." Greeted the receptionist as she grinned at him with a wide smile and sent one of the same width to my way. "Are you here to visit Ms. Sage again?"

"Yes I am, how was she today." He asked with so much concern and what sounded like love that I had to physically look away.

I tried to convince myself that it was only jealousy and insecurity speaking volumes. "She was irritable, but I how could we blame her when she has a baby growing in her and that is a task in itself."

We agreed with her and she spoke softly to Giovanni about Ms. Sage and their baby, what happened to patient and doctor confidentiality? I guess things change when your name is Giovanni Amelio and you have more money than you could pretend to spend in this lifetime and the next.

I walked behind them slowly as I felt like the outsider I was becoming used to being. Despite the fact that I came from a rich family I had never been to a hospital that looked like the one we currently meandered through.

There were high glass windows that overlooked rows of green trees and beds of wild flowers. The serene view reminded me of the bungalow my father owned in the middle of the wilderness. It also was a reminder that this was the big leagues, sure my dad has money, but everybody here has more than that. They had wealth my family pretended they held.

. Everything glittered and sparkled form hours of polishing and being cleaned, even the sterile white wooden floors that held our reflections as we followed the path that the corridor led. As we reached the room he stopped and held out his hand to me, "Are you okay mi amore?"

(Mi amore - my love)

I smiled despite my inner turmoil and grabbed the hand that was offered to me, "Of course baby, I am as excited as you are." I half lied, half told the truth.

He must have seen through me because as a response he captured my lips with his own. I pressed mine to his passionately and would have stayed there if it were not for where we currently were.

I pulled away from him reluctantly and pressed my forehead against his own, "Don't lie to me amore, no matter what. Please."

"Okay." I whispered breathlessly.

He led me in through the tall mahogany door and behind it was the beautiful Ms. Sage tucked soundly into a hospital bed. Despite being in a hospital bed and under strict orders to remain in bed rest by the doctors for the sake of the baby she looked like the model I was sure she was.

"Hello Gio, I see you brought little Aurora with you." She greeted in a sweet tone.

I tried not to scowl as I detected the underlying sound of mocking, it was my turn to be the bigger person even if it killed me. "Hello Mel, yes I have we wanted to come and see you and see how our baby is doing." Giovanni greeted and explained.

I was slightly caught off guard as I had assumed that Gio had asked her permission before he invited me along. "Hi, I thought that Gio had gotten your permission before he invited me to tag along." I added as I glared at him.

Giovanni had the common sense to look away from me before he angered me further. "I can step out of you wish?" I genuinely questioned her.

She shrugged in response, "Where would the fun be in that?"

I frowned at her response and if I had known better it would have been that sentence that would have sent me to run for the hills.

-=-=-=-=-=-

Hi guys, I hope you are all staying safe and in good health with everything that is happening in the world right now. I am currently feeling tipsy after having homemade apple cider and reflecting on the past and visualising the future.

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter and I'll see you next week Friday with a new chapter. Please remember to vote and comment if you enjoyed this weeks chapter.

-Aimee x