Chapter 15

Right after the boys backed away from the grass ninja, Sakura pointed her katana to the opponent. With a single hand, she made a few handsigns.

"Cherry Blossom Release: Sword Bullets!"

Her katana dispersed into cherry blossom petals and it punctured the woman's body like bullets, leaving clean cuts around her body. The crimson stained petals returned to its form as Sakura's katana. The blade of the sword suddenly covered in mud. She was instantly alarmed and shot her gaze to the figure.

It turned into mud and dropped onto the soil. The three of them went into tracker mode again, but all they found was the snake which attacked them earlier.

"This snake is so annoying." Sasuke grunted under his breath.

The snake attempted to attack them again, but they hopped onto the trees and avoided the snake's head. However, it seems to target the Uchiha because he was who he followed when the three of them separated ways.

"Throw a bomb into its mouth!" Neji ordered.

Sasuke reached for his pouch and took out a kunai with three paper bombs attach to it. "On it!" He threw it straight into the snake's mouth and fled to avoid the explosion. Before the snake could release a shriek, it exploded into disgusting pieces of flesh before vanishing into a puff of smoke.

"Have you found her, Sakura?" Neji asked, since her range is wider than his.

"No, she's no where!" Sakura was in distress. She was sure something was wrong with the lady, she's too strong. The heiress was certain the grass ninja was scheming something.

Suddenly, she was reminded of the battle her team had with Kakashi. Cherry blossom petals dropped onto the ground and thin chakra roots spread in the soil, searching for a person.

There she is. Sakura smirked.

"Neji, Sasuke." She called while pointing a finger to the ground. The two boys nodded, understanding what have to be done.

The ground rumbled and a figure broke into the surface with its limbs wrapped by strands of flower petals.

"What power you have.." The lady said in amazement.

"Fire Release: Grand Fire Ball!" Sasuke shouted.

Sakura cooperated with Sasuke, using a jutsu to compliment the Uchiha's fire. "Wind Release: Violent Wind!"

Flames danced around as the team seek shelter on the top branches. Once the smoke cleared, the figure was still standing tall, but her face melted into the face every shinobi recognises.

Sakura gasped, "Orochimaru?!"

"What.."

"What are you doing here??" Neji growled. His other two teammates joined him on the branch as he was the closest to Orochimaru.

"That isssss none of your concccern" He hissed.

The three Genins had no chance to win, they admit that much. As talented as they are, Orochimaru is talented as well. After all, he was once of the trio prodigies from the past, along with Jiraiya and Tsunade. Moreover, that team was the strongest trio prodigies team ever formed.

Beaded sweat formed on their foreheads and it dropped off their chin like tears. They had to fight even though they probably would lose. At the very least, they have to buy time until back up reaches. As a shinobi, it is their duty to fight for their village until their last breath, that was what they had learned from birth.

"BEHIND US!" Sasuke shouted and pulled them out of the way.

When they got away, they saw Orochimaru's lengthened neck that bit onto a tree bark.

Orochimaru's neck stretched and bit on the tree.

"Was he trying to bite us?? Gross!" He pinkette cringed in disgust.

"Nice reflexessss." He hissed. "I wonder..who should I choose? All of you are ssssso very talented.."

"What do you mean?" Sasuke commanded.

"Do you want to try, Ssssassssuke? You were my first option..." He laughed wickedly.

"Get lost." Neji snapped.

"What the heck do you want?" Sasuke questioned.

"Oh well.. I want to select a vessssssssel, but I wonder who..."

His neck stretched again and headed for the trio.

Fortunately, the proctor of the second exam arrived just in time. She kicked Orochimaru's head away and it slammed onto a tree as it was an attack he did not expect.

"Run away, kids! I'll handle him from here." Anko ordered.

Although they were reluctant to leave a shinobi behind, she was a Jounin and the Sannin's apprentice.

"Go!" She yelled.

Orochimaru's head had returned to his body and he stood face to face with Anko. He had a wicked smile on his face, but it did not seem like he will take action anytime soon. The team nodded and ran away, meeting their tigers who returned to them. Sumire jumped into Sakura's open arms.

"Good job, you saved us."

"I can't be any happier to see them again." Neji said in relief.

Sasuke sighed, "But Anko.."

"I'm positive they will bring reinforcements." Neji assured. "As the proctor of the exam, she must be the first to attend to the situation before things get worse."

Sakura was saddened after their encounter with Orochimaru, especially when they had to leave the scene. She remembered her fight with Kisame and it felt similar, she was not strong enough. She has to train harder.

The Hyuga noticed the dull mood shrouding his teammates. Although he too felt helpless, he must not let it affect himself. Train. That's all there is to it, they must become stronger. He sighed, "Let's eat before starting another battle, come."

"Back to the river?" Sakura asked.

"I can't think of anywhere else. We're already familiar with that area anyway."

==

Dedicated to anime_x_bts for voting on this story!

Published: December 2014
Rewritten: 8 May 2018