Prologue

*Don't miss out on this chapter 🤠
Enjoy the read😄*

2 years back...

Mehul wiped his sweaty hands on the side of his jeans. Looking in the mirror in front of him, he evaluated himself. Scanning every inch carefully.

Seeing that he looked his best, he stepped back, and let out a shaky breath after shoving his hands inside his pant pockets. This wasn't his normal. He was not the type to be nervous. But, he couldn't help it this time. After all, he didn't know what to expect.

He liked her. He desired her. He wanted her. Madly. The thought of her being his brought a triumphant smile to his lips, but it vanished faster than it emerged, for the fear of rejection never left his side.

It's okay. There's no reason for her to reject me. She may take some time to decide, but she'll agree. He encouraged himself.

Walking out of the restroom, he scanned the outside of the auditorium. She must be somewhere here. Spotting her, he smiled and wet his lips.

"Arpita," he called her name, lovingly, walking towards her.

She turned to him, her chocolate brown eyes pulling him in. "Mehul," she greeted back with a polite smile.

"Congrats, on winning the best employee award." He extended his hand, which she shook firmly. "I knew you would win it. You deserved it, after all."

"Thanks," a small chuckle left her lips.

"Actually, I wanted to talk. to you... About. Something," he hesitated, his confidence reducing with every word he uttered.

Thankfully, there weren't many people around. And those who remained, were about to leave, he noticed.

"Sure. Go ahead," she encouraged.

"I- uhm," he cleared his throat. "I wanted to... tell you that I..."
"Arpita, I lo-"

"Sorry," she cut him off.
Her expression had changed; no sign of her previous smile.

His heart, which had been pacing without control, stopped.

And the silence seemed prolonged.

"I'm sorry, Mehul. I would like it if you don't complete that sentence," he heard her say. Her voice was polite, but firm. Her face was calm, but stern.

He gulped. He had feared. He had feared her response. But not once had he doubted that he would not even get the chance to say those three little words he had repeated uncountable times in front of the mirror.

She turned on her heels, grabbing her mobile to put it in his handbag, readying herself to leave.

He didn't understand why she would reject him. Maybe she thought that working and dating would be too hectic to handle together. Maybe all he needed to do was convince her that he would support her, not burden her. "Arpi-ta," he called, reaching out and holding her wrist.

She turned, her stare hard. She glanced at his hand that was holding hers, then at him. He let go immediately, muttering a 'sorry'.

"I just... wanted to know... Why," he looked at her, searching her eyes for an answer.

At his words, her eyes showed a glimpse of her heart. Hurt. That's what he guessed it was.

"I... love someone else."

His chest tightened.
He felt weak- the tiny bit of hope that he had been holding on to, leaving him. "Who?" He asked, before he could stop himself.