Chapter 3: Masked

AN: For anyone who's read/watched Tokyo Ghoul:

As I've been writing, I've decided to stick to the plot even less now to the point where I might just use the anime as a general structure. So some characters may not turn into or have the background that they do in the anime/manga, and others might not exist at all. So a lot of things will be different, especially almost to the end of the first season

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hazel Levesque was thirteen years old, a happy kid that kept close to her mother most of the time but absolutely adored her father. She was mixed, her father white and her mother black, and most resembled her mother. But her eyes- they were gold, nothing like either of her parents. And she could control them from turning red better than most ghouls her age.

The day her life changed was like any other. She sat with her mother in her father's office, drawing on a discarded piece of paper as her parents talked.

Her mother was Marie Levesque, a young woman who was brought up in New Orleans but moved to New York, where there were fewer investigators at the time. She usually didn't work, but sometimes she filled in as a receptionist in the office.

Hazel's father was Pluto Levesque, a man about ten years older than her mother but every bit in love with her. He was a doctor, one all ghouls could go to and trust. His eyes were pitch black and barely changed to red, even when he was hungry.

And their little family was peaceful. She was happy, she was innocent, she was still a child.

Until Kronos came around.

She had seen him once before. He had been walking out of her father's office with a device in hand, his large smile the only part of his face showing through a mask. It reminded her of a clock, strangely enough, but instead of numbers, there were weird symbols she hadn't seen before.

"Never go near that man," Pluto had warned her. "If he ever comes back, hide. Run if you have to."

Hazel had nodded her small head and taken it seriously. Her father had never been so serious with her before.

But now, as she sat with her mother and drew a picture, she felt her heart racing when the man entered the room.

"Doc, it's been a long time." Either he hadn't noticed her and her mother or didn't care. His blue eyes were on her father, that ugly mask not hiding his smile.

"What do you want?" Pluto demanded. Marie pulled Hazel behind a curtain and clamped a hand over her small mouth.

"That trinket you made me, I need another one," Kronos's voice was deep, was cold, was teasing. It sent shivers down her spine. "That Binge Eater stole it from me."

Marie took in a sharp breath. Hazel could feel her shaking against her.

"Yes, yes, I'll get it done," Pluto promised. "I'll have in done within a month."

"A week," Kronos corrected. "I want it in a week."

Hazel could hear the fear in her father's voice. "A...a week?" he asked. "I'm not sure..."

"I'll be back Friday," Kronos continued. "And I want it just like the one before. Don't let me down."

What Hazel didn't see was Kronos's eyes flickering to her hiding spot with her mother, her father's shaking hands and red eyes.

When Kronos finally left, Marie grabbed Hazel and moved to her husband, her eyes worried and sad. "What are we going to do?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~