Chapter Thirty-Four: Problem Shared

Start from the beginning

"She plots to place me on the throne. With God as my witness, I do not want it," Mary insisted quietly shaking her head, she would place her hand upon a bible and swear it for all to see if that was what it took. 

In the safety of her chambers, Mary felt like she could share with him what bothered her but she dared not speak louder than needed in fear of someone listening to their conversation. 

"I don't know what to do. The King will be furious and he will have no mercy for those who conspired with her to start a war," Mary whispered staring up at him, she feared that perhaps her father would think that she was of the same mind of her mother.

That he would see her not as the obedient daughter that she was, that he would see her as a threat to her brother and would decided to execute her along with anyone else that had taken part in her mother's plot for the throne. 

Ippolito was silent for a moment, he had not been expecting such an admission from his wife and so soon after their marriage; he had hoped that Katherine had come to accept that she had lost. 

It was just as the King had predicted, someone trying to use Mary as a figurehead to start a war and place her as Queen instead of her brother; it was a relief that this matter was already being dealt with. 

Though there were no doubts that Katherine didn't realise that the King had already planned for this and Mary would not be remaining in England; though plans were still being discussed about them returning to Italy to take back Florence. 

"The King must be informed. It shall not be pleasant nor shall he be inclined as to be as kind," Ippolito murmured knowing that such a thing would not be pleasant and dealing with Katherine was something that had to be done carefully. 

The last thing that they needed was to make a misstep and end up at war with the Emperor; Katherine's act of treason would not be forgiven this time. 

"We shall speak with the Queen first, perhaps she will be able to help us approach the King with this. We must ensure that our loyalty is not questioned in anyway," Ippolito insisted taking Mary's hands, he pressed a kiss to them knowing what would happen to them if they were implicated in this. 

No, Mary was wise to stay away from her mother at this time and avoid being seen associating with her; they could not be stained with her treachery and they had to act now. 

Katherine was due to leave for Kimbolton tomorrow, they could not allow her to do so in fear of what she might be doing there; given the chance the all evidence against her could be destroyed before they had chance to find it. 

If they were quick then they could catch the Dowager Princess in the act and ensure that this did not blow back in their faces causing their own downfall as well.

***

Anne had been most surprised when it had been reported to her that the Duke and Duchess of Hertford were wishing for an urgent audience with her; she had not expected such a thing and she hoped that all was well. 

It pleased her to see Henry's daughter with Katherine happy, she had been a good and loyal daughter since the annulment of her parents marriage; she had been reward for such and deserved all the happiness that she could get. 

The child should not pay for the sins of the parent and Anne was a firm believer in that, although things had been frosty at the beginning, she saw no reason to worry about Mary now. 

It was her son that would one day take the throne while Mary would leave England in a few short years and would likely never see English soil again after that. 

"Your Majesty. We have come to see your assistance on a most sensitive matter," Ippolito stated offering a bow to Anne, he was hopeful that with her involvement that they would be able to convince the King that Mary had nothing to do with what Katherine had planned. 

They had no idea how far spread this was or who Katherine might have convinced to take her side, they only knew that Katherine had made her intentions known to Mary about what she was plotting. 

"Of course, my Lord Hertford... what can I do for you both this day?" Anne asked signalling for them to be seated, she glanced to Mary seeing the worried look on her face and hoped that whatever help that could be offered would help ease the worries that bothered her so. 

If it was in her power to help then she would do so, the look that passed between the Duke and Duchess did little to ease Anne's concerns; she couldn't imagine what it was that they might need her help with. 

"I am afraid it is a rather sensitive matter one that must be handled with the upmost care," Ippolito insisted hoping that Anne would understand, he didn't want to think about what would happen if this conversation was repeated to the King or even worse if the news got back to Katherine. 

It was not going to be easy but Ippolito was sure that with the Queen's backing then perhaps the King would be convinced that Mary had done nothing wrong and he wouldn't find himself joining her on the chopping block for something that they had no part in.