Tagging Along

"Soraru-sama, may I have breakfast with you?"

"Eh?" Soraru and Mafu were startled when they crossed the paths with the King's Guard on their way to the dining room. Shima looked stern and sturdy as usual, yet Mafu recognized that look of vigilance anywhere. The angel knew the King's Guard was suspecting something.

Controlling and hiding his emotions were Soraru's cup of tea every day. He made sure he didn't show his confusion as he nodded, "Sure, Shima-kun"

Shima bowed his body as his sign of gratitude.

"Soraru-sama, don't you think it's weird that your guard suddenly wants to tag along with us?" Mafu chirped as they walked together to the dining room. Shima was on Soraru's left rear, while Mafu was on Soraru's right.

Soraru kept his head straight forward, but he glanced at Mafu from the corner of his eyes, "Please don't talk to me now. Shima was chosen to be my guard not only because of his strength and judgment. Don't let him see me talk to you" he mouthed carefully.

Mafu pouted, throwing a look of dislike to Shima, "Yeah fine, whatever"

It seemed that Shima had told the servants that he would come along at breakfast. Soraru realized the food portion of the servant served to them was twice as much as usual. A vein popped from Mafu's head and he clenched his hand into a fist when Shima sat straightaway on the chair on Soraru's left, the chair he usually seated on.

"Soraru-sama! How dare of him to take my seat!" Mafu protested right next to Soraru's ears. The King was aghast by the sudden high frequency sound, but quickly regained his composure back and let out a heavy sigh. His numbers may be high, but he's still a young lad inside.

"Something's wrong, Soraru-sama?" Shima asked, realizing the discomfort in Soraru's expression when he reached his glass of water.

"It's nothing. My head is a bit dizzy, I suppose" it was true, though. With Mafu's screaming next to him, it felt like his head was being spun around.

"Do you need medicine for that?"

"No, thank you. Now let's eat our breakfast"

"Hai, Soraru-sama"

"Itadakimasu " they both said in the same time, clapping their hands over their chest.

Mafu, who (unwillingly) took a seat on Soraru's right side, could only watch as the King and the King's Guard had a light conversation. Unlike his conversation and Soraru where Mafu would be the one who spoke and Soraru would listen, Soraru and Shima both talked, telling about their daily activities or about the kingdom.

They looked contented, with Shima having a broad smile plastered to his face and Soraru having a soft smile graced upon his face. Somehow, Mafu felt wrong by staying here and watching them.

That time, Mafu didn't know why his chest felt like closing in. One thing for sure, he knew he couldn't ever talk as friendly as Shima could with the King. The room was as if narrowing around Mafu. He balled the cloth over his chest, griping it tightly until his knuckled turned white. His breathing became ragged. He had to get out of here when he felt a sudden urge to cry.

"Soraru-sama, please excuse me for a while" Mafu rose from his seat and hurriedly exited the dining room. In Shima's point of view, he didn't see nor hear anything, but to Soraru, the squeaking sound of the chair and the Angel of Death's broken voice caught his attention, automatically stopping his sentences.

Soraru instantly turned his head towards the dining room's entrance, watching Mafu ran through the door worriedly. Shima who didn't understand his King's actions spoke up.