Chapter 18. James' POV

"William, James, are you ok?" Fred asked worriedly and he put one hand on my shoulder and the other on William's.

The entire letter was exceptionally tragic, but meaningful. Both of us had reacted to the letter, but how else should we react? It was a unique letter with so much depth in it. To be honest, I actually didn't know Joey liked us so much as a friend. This letter meant the whole world to us and it was a letter that could easily be read many times, without getting bored of it.

I then slowly took my eyes of the letter and gazed into Fred's eyes. William was still gazing at the letter and didn't bother taking his eyes of Joey's letter.

"Ye-es, I'm f-fine F-fred", I stuttered. "It's just that his words were so meaningful and powerful that it was heart-felt. I don't know if it was tears of joy or not".

"I had read the letter outside of his house and I almost cried. I wasn't physically crying, but it emotionally felt it. He obviously wrote this letter prior his death".

"We obviously won't suicide ourselves if he died. We'll never break his promise and we'll always be happy after what beautiful morals he told us, just in this one letter", William finally spoke up, but still had his eyes fixed on the letter.

Fred then took his hands off our shoulders.

"He really cared for you both and you should be more than proud. I remember when working in the factory, I was feeling extremely exhausted and hungry, so Joey sneaked out secretly from the factory and bought be something to eat and drink. It was so kind of him. Phillip almost saw Joey sneaking out, but it was a close one", Fred said.

William the finally took his eyes off the letter and gazed at Fred. Our eyes were still full of tears, but they weren't streaming down our faces. I saw William's nose was slightly pink as if he had been sneezing.

"I also told Joey's parent's about his death", Fred said slowly and clearly.

"They must be feeling utterly miserable", I said and sniffled.

"I tried to cheer them up for like half an hour. After I visited them and when they eased down a little, that's when I found the letter".

"We better see his parents too some day, but sooner", I softly spoke.

"Good idea", Fred replied.

"Have they seen the letter?" William asked.

"No, but please do show it to them", Fred responded.

"We will", William and I said at the same time.

"Fred, thanks for giving us the letter. You're amazing", William thanked and gave him a smile.

"Yeah, Fred. Thanks for everything. If you didn't exist, we probably my would never have got the letter", I joyfully said.

"It was nothing. Just trying to help", Fred said and hugged the two of us in the unity of friendship. The hug was calming me down and I was feeling better. Fred was a good person, he reminded me of Joey somehow. A true friend of joy.

****

A few hours later, we decided to visit Maria's house. We felt we needed to spend a little time with them.

When we had made it into their house and into their spontaneous living room, we were served with green tea and freshly made cookies that made me relax.

Maria, Mr and Mrs Evans were sitting comfortably on the larger sofa together, drinking their cups if tea and eating their cookies.

After we finished drinking the tea and eating the cookies, we decided to chat.