Chapter 3. James' POV

I got badly boiled with boiling water that it felt almost like a wasp's sting. It was awfully painful and my body feels numb now, especially the skin that was once quite decent. I was wet from my head to my feet. Phillip didn't provide me a towel, because he's obviously mean. Phillip had taken me out of the water after like ten minutes or a bit less. I tried spotting my stripped shirt and wore it anyway, because I don't want to work without a shirt on. I find it disgusting. The shirt was half stripped from the centre and a bit on the left side, but who cares. At least the shirt wasn't wet and I wouldn't look like a drenched animal. A crowd of people were glaring at me worriedly and looked as if they wanted to help me out so badly. I shakily and slowly walked towards the crowd and suddenly dropped down onto the solid ground. I felt a bit dizzy and lazy. I felt s if I couldn't move. All thanks to Phillip.

I shakily ran my hands through my wet and messy hair. They were awfully messy now.

I was facing at Phillip, who was still near the bucket. William was there now, but he looked blurry to me. I wish I could help him, but I felt so peculiar and strange. I felt numb and weak.

"You ok, James?" One of the people from the crowd asked me.

"Not quite. I feel weird", I respond lazily.

"I wish you could rest, but Phillip won't allow you", The person whispered into my ear.

"I think I can get over it", I say softly and every time I spoke, my voice kind of faded away.

"I HOPE YOU BOYS OUGHT TO LEARN A LESSON WHEN YOU GET DIPPED!" Phillip yelled and he sounded like a psychopathic person.

None of us responded. I still remained on the floor like a dead tree post. I don't think I'll watch William get tortured. I tried not to watch myself get burned too and if I did, I'd probably faint and drown.

I saw William's shirt got stripped and his body was as skinny as a twig. I could spot a few ribs because in this stupid time period of The Industrial Revolution, especially for the workers, you get less food/drink and you look like this! You look like a skeleton or a zombie and it's terrifying and disturbing. I closed by eyes shut and blocked my ears, because I didn't want to see/hear William get tortured. If I did so, I'd faint badly. I didn't want to see my best friend get tortured in hot, boiling water and to see/hear him wail or cry.

I swear, if anything happens to William, the workers gang and I will hunt Phillip down at night and slay him, or at least punish him.

When Phillip threw William into the hot, boiling water, I had shut my eyes tight and blocked my ears. Before I did that, I had saw a few people doing what I was going to do. Looks like they'd probably faint if they saw William suffer the pain.

When my eyes were closed and my ears were blocked, I felt as if I was in a world of silence and peace. No one else, but me and no colours, but black. Closing my eyes and blocking my ears is so much better and fun than to work like a parasite and to suffer the pain.

****

Around ten minutes after William getting tortured, we all were working hard as always. I was painting a wooden tool box that William created. Phillip told me to paint the tool box magenta. Yuck! I hated that colour, a lot. Phillip said that this tool box will belong in this factory to put tools into. I'd rather paint flowers and hearts on the tool box, than to leave it plain magenta. At least then it'll look appealing.

"You better get that tool box painted or I'll literally kill you. This is the final chance I'm giving you and William!" Phillip shouted.

I didn't know what to say, no I nodded lazily and didn't look straight at Phillip's face.