Chapter 14. James' POV

We were still waiting for Joey to come back and tell us whether if he was allowed to come with us to help investigate to murder or not. He definitely needs permission from his parents and if not, it could be utterly dangerous and if something happens to him, his parents will never forgive us. Never.

"Let's tell some jokes while we wait", William suggested.

"Good idea! It'll pass out some time", I responded and allowed myself to first tell William a joke I learnt from school.

"What gets wetter the more it dries? A towel", I said and William cracked up laughing for about fifteen seconds.

"That was a clever one!" William joyfully said and his cheeks turned pink from laughing. His eyes seemed a bit watery too. I almost killed him from laughing.

"My turn. Why did the boy throw the clock outside his window? Because he wanted to see time fly!" William said and I cracked up laughing just as William did. My stomach started to hurt from laughing a lot and I don't think I've laughed that much from a joke.

"Terrific! Where did you get that joke from?" I asked eagerly eating for a response.

"My cousin, Mark told me that joke when I was 15", William said. "Your turn now".

I stopped myself from laughing now and eased myself down as best as possible. I them cleared my throat.

"Why was the picture sent to jail? Because it was framed!" I yelled so William could hear this joke that I had made up when I was sixteen. I don't know, but I thought I was the worst at making jokes.

William fell down to his knees and covered his face. He was vastly laughing so much that he had to do that. It looked like he was crying and didn't want to talk to me, but that wasn't the case.

"You ok?" I asked and bent down near him.

"Not from laughing so much. That was the best pun I've ever heard!" William said and his laughs finally started to ease down. He them got his hands off his face and slowly stood up. This time, his entire face was pink and it looked as if he was about to cry with tears of joy.

"You're great at this. I remember my cousin was also great at telling jokes just as good as you", William said.

I didn't know how to respond to a lovely compleat but I smiled as it was enough to do so.

Finally, Joey's front door had swung open in excitement and Joey's face looked overwhelmingly joyful.

"Mother and Father say I can go!" Joey exclaimed.

"I'm glad they could trust you to come with us", I said.

"Nonsense! They always trusted you and they will trust you too, William", Joey replied.

"So, we'll now head off to Maria's house?" William asked.

"Definitely", I responded enthusiastically.

I am feeling rather confident now ( William is a massive help). I know we all can work hard to find out who killed William's parents and then they good-for-nothing chap can get hung up to death his entire life.

"Let's go then", Joey suggestively said and we quickly walked to Maria's house and chatted quietly along.

****

When we made it to Maria's house, which seemed so beautiful when they crisp breeze blew the emerald green trees that blended well around the sophisticated house, I knocked on the door energetically. The door had swung open and Mrs Evans was standing there with a cup of tea in her hands and with a bright smile on her face.