Chapter 12. James' POV

"Ah, so this is Joey who works with you in the factory?" Maria asked.

"Yes. He's basically my friend now", I responded and smiled at Joey. He smiled back too.

"You're really pretty, just to let you know", Joey said to Maria.

Maria suddenly blushed and chuckled at Joey's thoughtful compliment. They sure would make great friends too. William didn't even dare to look at me. Instead, he kept his eyes fixed out the dirty window they was directly beside him. Even if he did see me, it'd be in great disgust.

"Thank you, Joey! That's really nice of you!" Maria said confidently.

"So, Maria dear, are you feeling stronger and better now?" Mrs Evans asked passionately.

"Yeah, but I'd like to eat something before I get discharged", Maria responded.

"I'll call the nurse", I said confidently.

"Ah, that's a good boy!" Mr Evans said and smiled at me a lot.

I stood up from the bed and I walked towards the door, opened it and looked to see if there was a nurse around, the same one Joey and I met while entering inside the hospital.

"Can I help you, sir?" A sweet voice called out. I turned around and saw there was the same nurse, smiling at me gracefully.

"Yes, um, Maria is feeling better now so before you discharge her, she wants something to eat", I spoke.

"Sure! You go back in the room and I'll bring her something to eat", The nurse said.

"Thanks!" I responded and marched back into the room where Maria is. As I walked, I thought some things to myself. I'm glad Maria's feeling better now. However, I'm still concerned of who killed William's parents? I swear is was never me, ever! I'd never do such thing. Maria, my parents, Joey and Mr and Mrs Evans believe me, but my former friend doesn't! I still remember though that when someone loses their loved ones, they accidentally blame others for their death because the person feels down and depressed. But, I just hope William eases down and believes me. I can't stand I'm being treated like a criminal.

****

A day had passed and Maria had been discharged from the hospital. Mr and Mrs Evans were relieved and eased down. We both were at the factory once again working like slaves and looking like parasites. Blinded Phillip still looking crueler than before was sitting in the wooden chair with his walking stick. The guards were looking vastly strict and one of them were nastily looking at Joey and I. We were working together, but this wasn't usual. Phillip never liked us working together because he thought it'd distract us from working and we might end up taking with our mates.

"HEY, YOUS , GET AWAY FROM EACH OTHER!" The guard yelled harshly like Phillip. My heart skipped a beat and it was thumping vastly quickly. I felt as if I was going to have a heart attack and Joey's eyes were filled with a lot of water; so much that his eyes were gleaming. His entire body was shaking with feat like a child and my legs felt dead.

"I SAID MOVE! YOU NEED TO WORK PRODUCTIVELY AND FASTER!" The guard yelled again.

My legs still felt dead. Joey's did too, considering of the fact that he wasn't moving an inch away.

The guard suddenly got a large, thick knife out from his pocket and ran towards us like a cheetah running to hunt for its prey. Joey and I tried running away, but he inhumanly grabbed us by our shirts and pulled us towards him as if we were his animal; a wild one. Our legs were touching the ground and while the guard was pulling us towards Phillip, we were like sliding. A lot of exhausted faces were gazing at us and as always, they'd gaze at you if someone got punished or something cruel like that. They all looked considerably worried and frightened with some cupping their hands on their mouths, some stopped working and some almost fainted.