eight

that hit me straight in the face. and my heart. i pulled away from the hug.

'wh-what do you mean?'
'i-i broke up with my girlfriend.'
'so you're s-saying that i-i made you do so?'
'n-no that's not it. i-i just felt like sh-she- no- i mean y-you-'
'shhh, it's okay. let's just bring you inside.'
'won't your mom be inside?'
'no, she left to buy groceries. hurry, she might be here any second.'

i pulled his wrist and took him upstairs, to my room. we sat on my bed and he squeezed my hands, 'harin-ah. i'm sorry.'
'stop saying that, it's not your fault.'
'yes it is,' my eyes suddenly started to sting when tears formed in my eyes.
'no, it's not. what happened?'
'ever since i met you,' those five words made my heart jump, 'i never stopped thinking about you. but she was mine at the time. now that i'm with you, why do i feel so empty without her?'
'seungwoo-ya, it's okay to think that. it's okay to feel sad because of letting go of something. but it's not okay to bottle it up and blame yourself for it. i know it's hard, but you can get through this. hwaiting, seungwoo-ya.' after i finished my last sentence, i placed my hand on his left cheek. he looked up at my eyes that's overflowing with tears, and i looked at his which were glossy.

'harin-ah, i love you.'

that made my heart beat so fast.

i brought his face closer to mine, and i kissed him, feeling my tears that landed on my lips. in between the kiss i replied,

'i love you too.' the tears that stung his eyes finally fell down his pretty face.

we slowly pulled away, opening back the gap that we closed earlier. i opened my eyes to see seungwoo smiling sweetly, it was tender and genuine.

we were in love.

honk!

beep, beep.

shit.

'seungwoo-ya, hide! my mom's here!'

i picked my phone up, 'eomma! what is it?'

'harin-ah, can you open the gate? i forgot to bring the keys.'

'oh okay, i'm coming!'

i ended the call and pushed seungwoo inside my closet. 'seungwoo-ya, hide here and stay quiet. get out the house when you can!' he nodded and i pecked him on the cheek. i closed my closet, swiping my hand on my burning face.

i ran down the stairs to find the keys. as i was finding them i heard my mom honk again. 'ha! found 'em! coming!' i quickly walked over to the gate and i opened the gate to find my mom's car parked behind seungwoo's. 'shit what if she asks if seungwoo's here?' i thought to myself. i took a big gulp and walked over to open the gate.

'eomma! you're back early!'

'yeah, i did self checkout. now can you help me bring these in?'

i nodded and helped her carry her paper bags, which reminded me of seungwoo bringing groceries for the old lady we found earlier. i smiled to myself, and my mom looked at me.

'does my baby have a boyfriend?' i immediately looked at her and widened my eyes.

'wh-what? o-of course not, mom. i'm still in my final year of high school.'

'i know, but why are you suddenly smiling? is that his car in front of mine?'

'ugh mom, i don't have one. let's just bring these in already.' i chuckled.