-Chapter 2-

Happy Easter everyone! Here's todays update, hopefully you enjoy and keep reading. I may post tomorrow or in coming days it depends on how fast I can type (I'm at my grandparents so this is all done on my phone rn) my thumbs ache but alas the book must be updated haha

Don't forget to comment and add to your libraries to receive notifications when I update next! You really don't want to miss out :3

enjoy my loves,

—————————————————————

I returned to my room an hour later feeling drained from the laborious discussion about safety with Tori. I was a princess. An heir. Safety was far from what I was used to. I groaned, closing my door with my heel, leaning back against it for support giving a quick shake of my head.

Safety. The word tasted sour on my tongue as I mouthed the word to myself.

Safe.

No one was ever truly safe in the world. Tori blessing me with a fake sense of security which I admired when I was younger now burned my throat. Nobody was ever safe. I would never be safe. As an heir, a princess, I would always have a target on my back.

Safety was what normal people worried about. Myself however I needed to worry over survival. My sister Riley always put survival over safety. She knew the risks. She knew the cost.

Yet here I was alive and well while she lay buried beneath the earth dancing in the stars. Always protecting me. Always watching for danger. And now without her to protect me it was I who had to look after myself. Guards could only do so much. At the end of the day what lay between me and death was my mind. Survival was what I needed to worry about. Not safety. Survival.

I padded through my chambers. Casting a look through the room for trouble before slipping into an evening gown. I loosed a sigh, braiding back my hair. I stared at my reflection in the mirror.

My gray eyes flared to purple to enable myself to see in the darkness of my room.

Strange eyes. Deadly eyes. Eyes that had seen far too much for their 'youth' as Valerie called it. The queen of the Northern Lands had meant well taking me under her wing and raising me. Though I couldn't help but feel trapped with all the precautions to protect. Protection was what wolves always cared for. Protection of the young, the weak, the defenceless. They always looked out for one another and who they considered family.

Protect. Protect. Protect.

Being raised majorly by wolves I had been called a wolf on numerous occasions. It was an insult. I was a faerie. A faerie princess and unlike Katrina, my aunt, I wanted the throne. I wanted people to know who I am. Not as some little girl the wolves took pity on. I wanted people to know me for me. For who I was. Who I am.

My gaze rested atop my hair after taking in my tanned skin that never faded. Skin that always reminded me of the Southern Lands which was my home. The space atop my head was empty. I'd have a crown filling the space soon enough.

Valerie in many ways was a mother figure to me. I'd surely have to meet her before my departure South. I would not cry. I vowed to myself, passing the balcony overlooking the ever growing city below. I would not cry. Crying was for the weak. And I was far from weak.

Passing the balcony I stiffened at the figure I beheld.

There standing on the balcony, seemingly without a care in the world, was Ellias. Ellias Nightshade, faerie prince of the night elves of the south, and my dearest friend. His tall figure turned facing me obviously sensing my presence.