𝟓.𝟐𝟎

───── 「DAWN」 ─────

     I was starting to question if we should go speak to Jackson about what we had done; I knew he had been keeping track of my sister's vitals, maybe he should be doing the same with Sam's

     I was starting to question if we should go speak to Jackson about what we had done; I knew he had been keeping track of my sister's vitals, maybe he should be doing the same with Sam's. I sighed. I was still sat on the bed with Sam lying next to me, Roan pacing around the room as Lila had curled herself next to Sam. Madi was speaking with Gaia about the Flame, the Flamekeeper's eyes landing on me from time to time.

- "We should go."

- "I'm not leaving until Sam wakes up." -I shook my head- "I'm not leaving her."

- "Funny." -Roan scoffed, I could tell he was growing more and more exasperated by the second.

- "I've already apologized for not taking her with me six years ago; the last thing I thought would happen is that's she'd get trapped here and had to endure all this bullshit so stop throwing that to my face!"

I had had enough of Roan's attitude towards me. I knew he loved Sam but that didn't mean he had to be a jerk about everything; I was punishing myself enough for this to have to add his self-entitlement too. After that, the atmosphere in the room was tense and awkward, no one making eye contact, Roan throwing his hands in the air, keeping up his aimless walk around the room.

- "You know she loves you." -Lila sat up, crossing her legs up in the bed- "Right?"

- "I know but..."

- "Sheda knew it too."

I nodded; I hadn't expected to be talking about Sheda any more but there I was, sat with his sister, both of us looking at the woman he had loved since he met her; I was certain he'd have been so proud of Sam and the leader she was now. I smiled. I wished he had managed to survive long enough to be with her in the bunker; after all, I had trusted him to keep her safe and centered when I didn't trust I could. Lila smiled too, moving her hand up Sam's bare arm, running her fingers over a tattoo with a familiar design: his war paint. I had seen a couple of Sam's tattoos and all of them were in honor of someone she loved except for the one on the back of her neck: Sheda's war paint, the tattoo that matched my sister's and, even if I hadn't seen it, I knew she had a tattoo now for Jasper too. I wondered if she had one for me, as selfish as that made me feel.

- "I asked him once why Sam couldn't stay forever with us in Polis." -I rose my eyes from Sam's sleeping figure to meet Lila's- "You know what he answered?" -I shook my head in denial- "He said that there was someone very important for her that needed her back, someone that wouldn't come to Polis."

Jasper. I took a deep breath. I wasn't sure why Lila was telling me this now.

- "He didn't mean Jasper." -that made me raise my head again- "I thought it was him too since he was the only one Sam had really told me about but Sheda didn't know Jasper back then, he knew you; he knew you needed Sam more than we did just like he knew you had never been a fan of us."