58 | rush ; powers

" I cannot believe this! " I giggle gazing around the small room where I'll be spending the next year of my life.

" I know right, It's so hard to believe I finally made it to my dream school! " Luna sighs plopping onto the hard mattress.

Luna is my roommate, we met in a facebook group and after talking for 20 minutes we decided we would room together.

" I've been ready to be a Trojan since i was 12.... and I made it. " I cheer.

" Are you nervous about tomorrow? " she turns looking at me.

" A little bit but, not to toot my own horn, I'm kind of good at talking to people so I think as long as I try my hardest everything will be fine. " 

" Gosh, I wish I was as naturally gifted with speaking as you. " she chuckles.

" Don't worry! You're a naturally like-able person so your going to find your perfect house!" I smile assuringly.

" God, we're going to besties I feel it already! " She smiles wrapping an arm around me.

" Yes we are!" I giggle.

Being at USC has always just been a distant dream for me. I always dreamt about one day being able to come here and get my psychology degree and I used to think that's all It was ever going to be, a dream, until I got my Acceptance letter, the large red words danced across the page " Congratulations, You have been admitted for the Fall 2020 semester! " and I screamed at the top of my lungs. Ever since then I have been counting the days until I moved in and the day was finally here. My mom and Dad just told me goodbye and it hurt more than I thought, I didn't always have the best relationship with my mom but she still seemed a little sad that I was leaving. However my dad couldn't bare to see me go. He was my hardest goodbye. I had to come a week early because I'm rushing, also known as doing sorority recruitment. I knew that I wanted to join a sorority for a long time now and when I told my mom it wouldn't be one of the traditional black founded sororities , she completely went off, like I said we didn't have a great relationship. She still is not happy about it but this is my life and I'm going to do what I want with it.

As the hours tick by Luna and I unpack and start decorating playing music lowly while playing 21 questions learning more about each other slowly but surely. She reminds me a lot of myself we have similar taste in music , which is liking everything which is why we are listening to Luke Bryan after NWA finished playing through the sound bar.

" Okay my turn , Any special someone in your life? " She speaks hanging up her string lights.

" Um no, I had a boyfriend back home in Ohio but he cheated on me all throughout the relationship so we broke up before I left to come here because he was cheating for like 3 years of the relationship. " I start to remember back to the memories I had long stored away of me and Andrew.

" You stayed even after he cheated? Why?" she ask.

" Um yeah, I guess it felt good to have someone love me, or at least make it feel like it. I was young too and by the time I realized what happened it was too late for me to leave. We started dating when I was in 8th grade and he was a sophomore at the school connected to ours. He used to take me around all his friends and show me off and they would all praise him like he was some hero for preying on a girl younger than him, he would make me dress in clothes that covered me up and always wear white when I was with him. I guess it was a purity thing for him. He tried several times to get me to give it up and I just wouldn't . I couldn't it didn't feel right." I explain.

" So you're still a virgin? " 

" Yes. I'm not really fond of having sex with cheaters or being around any for that matter, But enough about me, what special boy do you have in your life? " I ask begining to start hanging my pictures to the wall.