39.

4 months later

The pressure was in my knees as I knelt down on the forest ground. My leather jacket kept my warm as the breeze blew through the trees. I held a crossbow up high, alining my eyesight with what I knew lunch was going to be in front of me. The forest creature looked innocent, leaning down and eating the grass below it. If it was before, the apocalypse I mean, I would see this creature as beautiful or peaceful. Now I just see it as dinner.

I sucked a sharp breath through my teeth before pushing the trigger. The sound of the arrow through the wind was followed by the sound of a deer hitting the ground. I smiled and turned my head to look at Daryl who was already staring at me. His eyes seemed light, a huge smile plastered on his face.

"Yer gettin' better everyday. One of these days you ain't gonna need me with ya." He said taking the crossbow back in his arms as we stood from our squatted position.

"Maybe- but I prefer your company." I gave him a playful pinch on his arm, he winced jokingly making us both chuckle. Then we both walked to the deer checking for any bites or infections. Daryl handed me his crossbow again, taking it I swung it over my shoulder Daryl doing the same only with a deer instead of his weapon. 

As we made our way back towards the prison, I heard a branch snap from beside us. I quickly took D's crossbow and lifted it up pointed at it towards the sound. When all I saw were trees and bushes, I decided to take a deep breath and turn and look back at Daryl, "go back." I whispered. He nodded taking one last look around and heading quickly towards the prison.

When I made sure he was a safe enough distance, I turned my attention back on the forest where I heard the branch and started to make my way closer. I quietly keeping the weight on my feet light made my way to a tree. I then looked behind it to see a little kid hiding. I noticed her face straight away and groaned lowering the crossbow and swinging it over my shoulder again.

"Amelia, what did I say about following us?" I snapped grabbing her by the shoulder and placing her in front of me.

Amelia was a girl Maggie and I found on one of our trips into town. She was alone hiding in a pantry. She was with her sister but her sister never came back from a supply run. She told us she was hiding in there for 2 days before we found her. Lucky we did.

"I know, but no one will teach me how to hunt so I practice from a distance." She groaned and leaned her back against a tree. I lifted my eyebrow and then bent down to meet her small gaze, "isn't Carol still teaching you guys during story time?" I asked, her expression changed to guilt and then shock, "how-" she started but I waved her off, "Carol tells me everything." Amelia nodded before I looked down to see if she carried a weapon. When I saw nothing I gave her a concern look.

"You came out here unprotected?!" I started but before she could answer I dug in my pocket and pulled out a small pocketknife.

"Listen- it ain't much but keep it with you in case. Next time I go out I'll find ya something better." She gave me a small smile before taking the pocket knife in her hands and pressing it into her pocket, "let's head back before the sun sets." I stood up and then we walked side by side back to the prison.

•••

I walked up to the cellblocks, Amelia by my side. She was quiet the whole way back which was unusual but honestly I enjoyed the time with just myself. She then saw a couple of her friends, Lizzie and Mika and went off to go hang out with them. I then searched for any familiar faces. That's when I noticed Carol at the grill cooking up the deer Daryl and I had caught. As i made my way towards them both I heard a couple of people, "Hi Sunshine!" I waved and smiled.