13.

Lori and I snuck out when everyone was inside. Took a couple of small guns and I had my holster and my hunting knife. We got into a small Honda looking car and then started to head towards the town that Hershel would be.

It was quiet, I didn't plan on doing this but I had to get out of that place. I couldn't look at Maggie in the eyes. I couldn't just pretend everything was ok when it wasn't. Lori was driving when I decided to say, "Hershel is probably drinking." I whispered barely above a whisper.

Lori still heard, "yeah, Maggie told Rick that before they left. Said he'd go to a town with a bar-" I nodded cutting her off, "he had a problem before all of this, but once Maggie was born forbid alcohol from the house. At least those were the stories." I drifted off starting to spiral into everything Maggie had said and thinking everything she said was a lie. It was a stupid thought knowing she hasn't lied to me her whole life.

"I'm sorry about your mom." Lori cut off my thoughts, I weakly smiled at her and then shook my head.

"It's not your fault, there is no need to be sorry." It was quiet for a second before Lori grabbed a map from beside her and started to open it up but I took it from her hands, "no. I need it." She protested but I shook my head and said, "I know my way there-" but she cut me off again.

"I'd be more comfortable with this instead of you giving directions?"

Offended and taken aback I snapped, "what? You don't trust me? Why? Because I got s funky accent and I look like I'm from a different neighborhood than yours?" Lori stared at me with shock and she shook her head. Then she turned her head and looked at the road.

I had a feeling that Lori and I weren't gonna see eye of eye. I should've left it there, should've just kept my mouth shut but I didn't.

I said, "don't worry, I'm not gonna harm your baby!" My words were like venom. Her eyes widened and she looked at me. I glared at her before turning back at the road to see a walker in the middle of the road, I screamed. This sent Lori to press the break but it was too late. The car flipped down a ditch. Everything went dark. 

•••

The first thing I remember is my head was pounding. The second thing was Lori screaming which caused my eyes to snap open and that's when I saw the scene before me. We were sprawled on the ground. Glass from the windows all around us and the hazards from the car were on.

There was a walker trying to get at us through the broken glass causing the flesh on its mouth to peel off with the sharpness. I gagged and looked at Lori who had a panicked look. She looked at me and I gave her the same expression. Her forehead was gasped open and I let out a frustrated grunt.

I let my hands went to my holster to find my hunting knife wasn't there. I looked around the car and saw it in the back of the flipped car. I ran a hand through my hair before moving carefully and crawling towards the weapon. The walker was inching in the car, if I didn't grab my knife, it would've latched to my skin and my life would be over. But before the walker could jump on me, I grabbed my knife, turned around and stabbed the walker right in the head.

Lori struggled but then eventually opened the passengers side door. She crawled out and I followed behind her. As we got out, about 3 more walkers were out waiting. The sun was gone. Darkness made our vision more impaired and my eyesight was a little blurry from my head being smacked hard from the crash.

Lori grabbed my elbow and we hid behind the car. She handed me my gun that I dropped, I gave her a reassuring nod before we both stood up and shot the walkers down. Lori's aim wasn't the best since the lack of defending herself but she eventually shot one in the head, I got the other two. Then there was silence.

I looked between her who stared at the walkers in shock and then she looked at me. Her expression was in disbelief that we just crashed a car.

"How's ya head?" I asked sharply and she gave me a weird look before reaching up and touching the cut on her hairline, she winced and said, "I'll be fine but he have to go find Rick."

She turned around. Was she crazy? We almost died and she wanted to continue this journey. I ran in front of her putting my hands up to stop her. She gave me a curious look and I shook my head, "we need to get you back, you're pregnant-" I started but Lori snapped interrupting me.

"You don't think I know that!?"

She looked away ashamed for raising her voice. I was taken aback but I loosened up and then placed a hand on her shoulder.

"I'm terrified. My son was shot. My husband is out there. Shane just disrespected Hershel's privacy. I don't know what else to do." She said desperately. I knew she was right, I had no right to tell her anything. I wasn't in her shoes nor will I ever. Id rather die then bring a kid into this world.

"Okay," she stopped her rant and stared at me dumbfounded that I actually just agreed instead of argue.

"We can probably just walk the rest. Just keep your gun close."

She nodded as we started down the road. We were walking for maybe an hour before we heard the sound of tires behind us. Confused, we looked behind us and saw headlights. I took my gun in my hands and stood in front of Lori ready to protect her from whoever this was. It might've been Rick, it might be a stranger. I couldn't tell because I could see the car.

When it got closer I noticed the style and knew it was Shane. When he pulled up he turned the car off and hopped out, another person came out of the drivers side. It was Daryl. Why did he willingly put himself in a car with Shane?

He locked eyes with me and then I hurried to him, he then took my arms in his hands and stared at me examining my face. I tried to look away but I could tell by the stern look that he noticed the scratches.

"What the hell happened?" He harshly whispered. I pulled my arms from his grasp and look over at Lori who was being examined by Shane. I then looked back at Daryl.

"I decided to help," I shrugged and then Daryl shook his head and then walked towards Lori, "ya think ya gonna be the hero? Finding that husband of yours. You nearly got both of ya killed!" He spat in her face.

Shane got between him and Lori pushing his back. I quickly made my move putting a hand on Daryl's bicep. He froze underneath my touch and then looked at me, "I'm fine." I mouthed and he just glared at me and pushed my hands off.

"Lets get you two home." Shane said but Lori struggled and said, "no, I need to find him. I can't go back without him-" Shane was uneasy but then said, "h-he's home. Rick is back safe and sound." This caused Daryl's eyebrows to lift which proved to me this was a lie to get her back.

I knew it was a smart thing because she was pregnant and shouldn't be out here flipping cars. Daryl looked at me and he helped me to the car. Lori and I got in the back seat. I was started to doze off when I felt Lori touch my hand, "don't fall asleep, you might have a concussion." I turned to look at her and then touched my head and felt a fresh cut right on the hairline. Kind of where she had hers.

I winced with pain and then looked at hand which had a little bit of blood. I then looked at Lori who gave me a small hand squeeze and then she noted, "thank you, for actually helping me. Not many people do that these days. Just tell me to hush and go clean the dishes."

I gave her a small squeeze back and then stated back, "girls gotta stick together." She chuckled and then it was quiet the rest of the trip home, me trying to stay awake.

Authors note ;

Thank you guys! For reading. For voting. It means so so much to me. This chapter was harder to write. That's why it took so long. Also Harry Styles just came out with an album and it's inspired a lot of scenes to come lol. This is sort of a shorter chapter but I promise the next chapter will be crazy!

Anyway, thank you and I hope you are enjoying the story !

-KG