Chapter 25: The Retaliation Begins

"The food reserves are untouched and we have successfully thwarted the poisoning plan. People won't have to fear for atleast one year. We have started cultivation for some other crops now. And we have assigned new units for all kinds of positions."

Viaan was listening to the report provided by Rudra. He was out of the medical ward the moment he woke up. He worked all night to ensure that the kingdom was self sufficient.

They were all sitting around the round table in the meeting room. It was still early morning. A day had gone by following the incident in the tunnels. Viaan was running on low sleep. He was followed by stares wherever he went. The official announcement about his innocence was met by a mixed reaction. Some were relieved while some were doubtful. He was still reeling from his brother's announcement about his coronation. Viaan had finally told his brother Vivaan that he would only act like an acting king till the former king's enchantment was in place.

The meeting was attended by only six members. The prime minister was sitting opposite Viaan and he was looking relieved. Minister Pradhan was respected by everyone in the kingdom for his wisdom and truthfulness.

"Sir, the corrupt officials will surely try to stir some trouble. You said that you knew who were conspiring with the enemy. We have to do something about that. Because kingdoms fall from inner enemies faster than from any enemy on the border."

Vivaan nodded at that. He turned towards Viaan, "Minister is right. You should first show that the royal family isn't weak and the king is supreme commander to the Ministers. They need to fear and respect you. As per the corrupt ones, I'll handle them. Give me their names. And for the meanwhile, we will appoint the head apprentices in their stead. We have to be careful because each and every word from your mouth will be dissected by the rebels."

"Prince Viaan will have every weapon at his disposal and we will do everything we can. All our warriors will fight this fight. Master Adhyay has extended his help and the country of Adhira will forever be your ally." Nairiti informed them.

"And what about your coronation, prince Viaan?" Pradhan asked him.

Viaan shook his head, a plan already in his mind. "I am not the actual king here, sir. I'm just the acting king till my brother loses his mind controlling enchantment. There wouldn't be any coronation. I don't need the royal crown on my head to be a king. I have my own crown and as far the show the people need, we will have a vow of acceptance ceremony. I strongly think that this ceremony will attract all kings of trouble. So we need to have many traps in place."

"Princes and respected minister, I think we can have all archers in position to shoot any intruder. And many magical shields so both princes and the princess will be safe from any rogue weapon. I think every hand to hand combat based fights can be controlled by our friends Vidyut and Nairiti."

"That will work," Prince Vivaan nodded.

"The formations of archers can be in circles. That way you would have many levels of protection." Vidyut responded.

"That's settled. Now we have to scope out the public opinion. I have to go make a public appearance. All of you except Vidyut stay here."

The guards were lined up to the entrance of the tallest balcony of the building. Its position was to discourage any one shooting at the speaker and maiming him. Viaan had decided to talk to the public in the city when they offered the morning prayer.

People were all gathered in the open space below and Viaan saw many Ministers, children, merchants, farmers, soldiers standing in various groups.

The royal guards blew their horns to quieten the people.

Viaan then spoke.

"May light always reign supreme. I am your Prince Viaan standing before you asking for guidance. My mother, your queen was killed by a madman and my brother became the king of this beautiful place. He always thinks of his people first. He puts the kingdom's needs before his. And he is currently indisposed because of a health condition. So I stand here asking your permission to be your king till my brother recovers."

"How can a thin boy fight enemies when all you did was read books? Do you even know what happens in Mihira?"

"We never saw you fight a soldier."

"You are a young boy. How can you be a king?"

Viaan listened to many shouts and smiled. He raised a hand to silence them. They quietened after lot of mumbling.

"I may not look like my brother but I assure you, I can fight. Do you doubt our weapons master's ability? He wouldn't have deemed me fit if he didn't believe in me. And as for me being young, I'm sure the Ministers will help me. They are wise beyond their years."

"Prince, what about your mother? Who killed her? Why are you hiding things from us? Is the king really ill? Or is this your plan to take the crown?"

"My dear brother, we still didn't the queen's killer but my brother is fine. He is just weak now. I'm not planning to become a king or stay a king for long. When the king becomes well, he will be back. Your true king will be back soon. I only ask you to cooperate with me for some time. I promise to serve you and this mighty kingdom with everything in me. I won't allow anyone to harm this kingdom. No evil can befall this place as long as I'm alive. So my dearest people, will you put your trust in me?"

The supporters all chanted, long live the king and with that everyone joined. Viaan winced when he saw a small dart sinking in his forearm. He pulled it out and read the words inscribed on it.

There will be more.

Author's note :
This was hard to write because I cant spend more time on screens without getting eye strain. But still I couldn't stop writing because of your love towards this book. All you readers keep me going and help me writing it.

I thank all of my readers. You guys are awesome.

I would also like to thank my new readers, who are also my real life friends, bhavyasri97,MulpuriSpoorthy!