Chapter 19: The eclipse realisation

Viaan decided to go back in the tunnels so he could know what he would be facing later. So there he was visiting the same one, he had used when he had fled the kingdom. It was evening and the sky was in a beautiful shade of red and pink. It was always a good time for sky watching in Viaan's opinion. But still he had to hurry if he wanted to get back by dinner time.

The tunnel easily opened for him this time when he allowed his magic to surface. He noticed few things which he had neglected in his panic. The light stones changed color according to the day and time. They were bright white when he entered but now they were slowly turning blue. He also deduced that they sensed the magic of the person entering the tunnels. He had to know about how they worked someday when he cleared the mess.

He took his paper book out of his robe and noted the party he took. The tunnels were getting bigger with each step and soon he was in a clearing. The clearing looked like a cavern. But it wasn't quite like it. There was an opening on the top which allowed some light in. It was deathly white and it meant that the moon was shining bright in the sky. Viaan never notes the lunar calendar and he cursed himself for it.

The clearing had a small water pond and there were some flowering plants growing around it. It was like a beautiful scene any artist would love to paint. Like Vidyut. Viaan had no painting skills. He was okay at sketching so he drew a rough view of the scene surrounding him.

He made his way towards the pond and wasn't surprised when he found the water warm. He knew some fishes would be living in the water but he didn't test it.

He left the clearing soon. When he got back, he found that the tunnels did read a person's mind. He didn't take the same path back but a tunnel instantly opened which led him out.

Nairiti was back on her spying duties and Vidyut on his "keeping an eye" on Viaan duty. When Vidyut learned of his whereabouts, he insisted on tagging along there the next day. Of course, theh didn't tell Rudra anything. He didn't believe in magic yet, no point in pulling his world from its axis.

Vidyut was enthusiastically drawing the pond which he was seeing in sunlight while Viaan sat on the edge of the pond. The lilies were shining in the sunlight and it was a happy atmosphere. Viaan relaxed and his mind was calm. The magic cleared his thoughts and made his determination strong. All his negative energy and doubts were eradicated from his mind. He was content being there but he still wanted to fight for the truth. He got up and went to see the painting Vidyut was so engrossed in.

It was an exact replica of what he saw. He saw himself sitting with a happy expression which was missing when he saw himself in the mirror. He always admired the art Vidyut made. They looked infinitely real and like a live version. They looked like they would come to life any moment. He had that amount of unsurpassed skill.

Viaan was right to think that the place had really some magic which affected its residents. They were entirely calm when they returned to their room and found a parcel waiting for them.

It contained all standard documents for their work regarding the big festival after the eclipse. The solar eclipse was considered a big phenomenon in Mihira and the lunar eclipse was considered the same in Adhira.

So they were assigned some jobs for it. And it made a doubt pop up in Viaan's mind. The eclipse was only ten days far. The night before the eclipse the drugs would take effect on the palace residents. It was one big plan which would never happen.

Viaan then told Nairiti and Vidyut about his antidote plan. They were all discussing their tasks and progress. Rudra was still on dinner duty. The sun had set and they were sitting in the stable listening to the crickets and birds flying away.

"Will this work? Are you sure?" Nairiti asked him.

"I'm sure. I didn't test it but I'm pretty sure it will work." Viaan replied.

"Any side effects?"Vidyut questioned him. He was perched on the hay bale and looked quite comical. They had made a cleaning spell which took all the dirt and smell away and kept the stables clean for them to work.

The horses were gone for the checkup in the palace grounds which was a convenient way to explain how the enemy was preparing for war. It was  like a game of chess and all the pieces were set. Only the moves would determine the outcome. Viaan had his close friends and confidants and the enemy had his supporters.

Viaan only hoped for an element of surprise in his favor. He also tried to get the mystery of the underground pond unraveled before he had to face whoever was orchestrating the evil plan. The pond obviously reacted to the light of the sun and the moon. And the solar eclipse would certainly turn things very uncertain.

Viaan practised his magic for some time before he meditated. He needed sharp and focused mind. He needed all his wits for the ultimate battle. The battle with his brother and superior magic. The battle with the black guards who for some unknown reason were targeting him.

Atleast the black guards couldn't control him, he was safe from their magic. But his friends weren't. If he had to choose, it would be disastrous. He wouldn't allow them near any harm, he could use his magic for their safety. He hoped the velvet handkerchief served the purpose be had intended it for when he left it in his brother's study.

Author's note:
A quick chapter before the eclipse is upon them. And also before they infiltrate the palace and their prep for the fight. I'll add those too. Okay two chapters before the final showdown, I guess. I dont know how long this book will be. It will depend on the magic and stuff like that.

But what did you think?