Chapter 105 - Loyal

Zander's surgery was scheduled for the afternoon and until then his jaw was clamped shut with a brace. It was sad because when we were finally allowed in his room, he couldn't talk to us. I felt so bad for him. It looked like he was in a lot of pain. Hopefully, the prescribed narcotics would help with that. The doctors said if his surgery went well, he could head home in a few days, but if there were any complications during the procedure then his admission could be extended.

While Hino tried to cheer Zander up using Khaleel's family drama, I focused my attention on Mrs. Easton. She was a handsome woman in her early forties with dark brown eyes, thick curly hair and a chocolate complexion. Her one-piece purple jumper was baggy and tardy, and like its owner, it had seen better days. I moved away from Zander's bed to help her fold his clothes and stack hygiene products into the bathroom with Tomasia. I felt bad for her too. I could tell she was doing her best to not give me the stink eye, and blame me for being a bad influence on my friend.

Tomasia remained at the hospital while Khaleel, Hino, and I returned to the academy. I was anxious to get back for various reasons, but the main one was Arisa. It was difficult to go home and fall asleep after our argument. I stayed up thinking of different ways to satisfy her curiosity. It was scary and oftentimes out of my control. I didn't want her reaching out to Wade and asking him about our past. It wouldn't sit well with me. I still couldn't believe that guy ended up dating my girlfriend. Divine retribution, I assumed.

Lunch started by the time we reached our lockers. I waited for Arisa in front of hers, anxious to hear her angry thoughts. I was sure she was going to lose her top. I was even prepared to block a couple of her punches if it came to that. As expected, her furious eyes landed on me from down the hall. I tried to block her from accessing her locker but it didn't work. The scary girl brushed past me and headed to the stairway. I followed her down to the first floor, and then out the side door to the school courtyard. Arisa whipped around, books in hand, and continued to glare daggers at me. I assumed she was waiting for me to start talking.

"Just tell me what you've decided," I said, helplessly. "You can't believe what I did, you're angry I kept it all from you, you're ready to drop me on my ass again—"

"I shouldn't even be surprised," she interjected.

"I'm sorry--"

"Please, don't," Arisa cut me off. "Don't say sorry. I don't want an apology from you."

I nodded. "What would you like? How do I fix things so you will stop looking at me like that?"

"I tried so hard to tell myself that you were just a regular guy, troubled, sure and maybe even a little misunderstood, but good in his core," Arisa said, tearing up. "Even with everyone else calling you the devil and telling me to stay away, I convinced myself there was more to you. I convinced myself that you had a good reason for everything you did."

"And now?"

"Your friends made it sound like you were some sad kid with a million burdens to bare," she clenched her fists. "That you never wanted to be the school legend. That hearing lies had messed you up in more ways than one."

I swallowed hard, trying to ignore the gut-wrenching pain her words inflicted. "What's your point, Arisa?" I asked, impatiently.

"Can you stop being the devil?" Her question struck me in the worst way.

"W-What?"

Arisa moved closer to me. "If you stop then we can try to mend what we have. If not, then neither you nor any of your friends can ever say that you didn't want the title. If not, then you are choosing to be the devil on the rooftop."

"I can't stop until the end of this term."

"You're playing with lives until the end of this term!" Arisa yelled. "Loyal, don't you realize how many people you're hurting? Please stop using your gifts for evil!"

"Arisa, I can't stop until the end of the term."

"You have a trust fund," she said, desperately. "You have options! You have people who care about you that can help find a better way! It doesn't have to be this dark and twisted."

I shook my head. "I can't..."

Her arms began to tremble. I could tell she was forcing herself to stay calm but it was proving to be difficult. "File for emancipation and find a way to get your trust fund with it," she suggested. "There has to be a way for you to do both. You have be willing to try instead of resorting to these awful tactics."

"Arisa," I sighed. "It's a little bit more complicated than that and you know it."

Tears streamed down her cheeks. I wanted to wipe them away but I knew I had no right to reach for her face. "You're either willing to try or you're not," she said. "I don't want to date the devil, Loyal. Not if he can't compromise or see reason."

The silence was suffocating.

"It's not that I can't forgive you for lying," she went on. "That part is easy but how can I trust you to stop at the end of the term? How can I trust you to be honest with me? You would have never written the letter if I didn't catch you in your lies, Loyal."

I ignored the shivers crawling down my arms. "I came to school prepared to lose you," I admitted. "Not to lose everything that I've been working towards, as evil as it may all seem. This is my life we're talking about, my future, and I need to make sure it lands."

"No matter the cost?"

"No matter the cost."

"Then I must not be worth very much," she nodded, turning away. "We're done."