Chapter 3 - Arisa

I stood in a classroom full of strangers and waited to be assigned a seat. The desk by the far back looked like my best bet because it was next to the window. There was another one in the middle of the room but it was too close to the other students. I searched for a friendly face and found a couple of people I wouldn't mind talking to. A dark-skinned girl with braided hair, and a boy with blonde highlights and a tanned complexion. I could sense the urgency in their eyes, their desperation to know who I was, and where I came from.

I glanced at a few more faces, the ones who looked like they couldn't care less about my arrival. I didn't take it personally. Forced friendships never ended well anyways.

My body tensed as I remembered Tomasia's warning. 'I advise you to avoid the rooftop. Don't go up there even if you're granted access. It won't end well.' I would have never thought about going to the rooftop but now I couldn't stop thinking about it. If I was granted access, what kind would it be? Was the door always open or did I need a key to get inside? Honestly, if Tomasia didn't want me going there then she shouldn't have said anything.

A frumpy woman walked out of the back room with a clipboard in hand. Her big eyes held my attention for an uncomfortable moment. "Let's get started," she said. "Arisa, did you want to say a few words and introduce yourself?"

"It doesn't matter," I replied.

The teacher nodded before addressing the room. "Good morning everyone."

The students replied unenthusiastically. "Moooorning."

"This is Arisa Hoffman," she said, gently touching my shoulder. "She's transferring from a public school across the pond. I want all of you to be kind and welcoming."

"Public school babe!" a boy shouted from the back of the class. "You single?"

Half the class laughed while the other half called him a desperate idiot. He shrugged it off when I didn't humour him with a response.

"I said to be kind Mr. Carter," the teacher drawled.

I could feel my peers' gazes sticking to me, the same as before, but this time Tomasia wasn't around to deflect it. I clenched my fists and smiled awkwardly. If it were any other day, I would have happily told the creep to shove a sock in it, but I had to be good. A, because I couldn't see him from my where I was standing and b, because it was my first day at the academy. If mom taught me anything, it was that first impressions mattered.

I was happy when the teacher escorted me to the empty seat by the window. At least one thing was going my way. It was the second desk from the last row and I had a very handsome boy sitting in front of me. He gave me genuine smile that assured me he wasn't the tool who asked about my relationship status earlier.

"Mr. Matsunaga," the teacher said, confirming that he wasn't. "Would you mind supporting Ms. Hoffman through my class?"

"No problem, Mrs. Patterson," the boy replied.

I took a second to admire his features. His olive complexion was spotless and his almond eyes brown, warm, and alluring. It was hard not to lose myself in them. I glanced up to appreciate the way his black hair was tousled away from his face. I couldn't believe how good looking he was or how well the school uniform fit his lean and athletic figure.

"I'm Hino," he said.

"Arisa."

He stared at me attentively. I felt a little awkward about it, so I distracted myself by inspecting the workbooks the teacher had arranged on my desk. "What school did you come from?" Hino asked.

"Oakville High."

"Yikes."

"Thanks," I said, flipping through the pages. I knew it wasn't the best place to come out of but did private school kids hate public schools that much? His comment felt a little elitist but I decided not to comment. In fact, I went out of my way to change the subject. "So, do you know how I can get access to the rooftop?"

His gasp was quiet. "Are you a smoker, Arisa?"

"Am not," I said, catching his gaze. His eyes weren't warm and welcoming anymore, they were cold, still and solemn.

"Then there is no reason for you to go up there."

"Do I need a reason?" I persisted. "What if I told you my curiosity is insatiable?"

Hino turned his back on me. "Sounds serious."

The more he avoided my questions, the more suspicious his warning became. "You're the second person who's told me avoid the rooftop," I said.

"Then maybe you should listen."

"But it's starting to sound like a challenge," I teased.

He remained quiet.

"And I love a good challenge."