Chapter 66 - Loyal

Arisa was cute, effortlessly, and I was determined to make sure that I was the only guy she thought about moving forward. I had to stay two steps ahead of Khaleel. Maybe even three steps. I couldn't afford to let him swoop her up. It was true what I said. I didn't want to lose my friend over a girl, but I also wasn't going to claim her until she let me. I couldn't stand people who forced someone's hand.

My lips only brushed hers for a second but it was enough to make me fall for her all over again. "Keep those beautiful eyes of yours, Arisa Hoffman, on me," I told her.

Her gaze tugged at my heartstrings. "If you keep doing things like this, I'll really lose it," she told me.

"Lose what?" I smiled at her.

Students began to leave Jackheights, which could only mean classes were over for the day. It prompted Arisa to pull my hands away from her face. She quickly whipped around to see if Kumar's associates were watching us. They were. She was probably embarrassed by the public display of affection, which made her cuter. And made me greedy for more of her time. I took a step up and held her from behind. I made sure my grip was nice and tight, so she would have no option but to let me enjoy her company.

"Lose what?" I asked again, resting my chin on her head. "Your mind? Your heart?"

Arisa struggled against my hold. "I thought I told you, you shouldn't be so straightforward with girls or they might not take you seriously."

"I think it's part of my charm," I laughed, picking her off the ground. Arisa squealed and kicked her legs, as I spun her around. Kumar's associates watched us for as long as they could stomach it. I guess it was annoying to see a couple of idiots flirting in broad daylight, but I didn't care. I just wanted to be with the girl I liked. I wanted to make her laugh, and see her flustered face some more. It was the best feeling.

I eventually set Arisa down and marvelled at the shade of her eyes. They were cool enough to entice me in and warm enough to keep under their control. This girl was strong enough to break away from me, I had experienced it firsthand, so it was gratifying to know she was choosing to stay. "That was a little scary," she admitted. "You're so tall. I felt like I was going to drop to my death."

Right. I shouldn't forget about her fear of heights or that I had threatened to throw her off the rooftop. "It might be hard to trust me after our initial encounter, but please know that I would never let you fall," I said.

"Alright, that's enough out of you."

"I'm serious."

"Oh, I know," she replied, giving me the hand. "That's why I'm asking you to stop, good sir. Steer your cheese boat in a different direction."

I couldn't stop myself from smiling. "Let's play a quick game of ten questions."

"Ou, ou!" she looked excited. "I want to start. Can I start? I have a really good one."

"Your enthusiasm is a little concerning, but yes. Go ahead."

"I want to learn more about your superpowers," Arisa beamed. "Do you really have to be looking at a person in order to tell they're lying?"

I raised my brow. "That's what you want to know?"

Her nod was assertive.

"Okay," I drawled. "If I don't know the person then yes, I need to look them in the eye to tell if they're lying. If I've known them for a long time, and have become accustomed to hearing their voice then I don't need to look in their eyes."

"When you say 'people you've become accustomed to hearing', you mean your family and friends," Arisa assumed.

I nodded. "Teachers too."

"What about me?" Arisa asked. "Have you become accustomed to my voice yet?"

"Yes," I replied. "I've become accustomed to your voice, laugh, touch, and other wonderful things."