Chapter 22 - Khaleel

I jabbed my fist into Basil Bhak's stomach and dropped him on his ass. He was a big guy, on the heavier side, but not anyone I needed to worry about. I wasn't one to hold my punches either but today, I wasn't really in the mood to use someone as a punching bag. I hoped the rooftop gravel added to his pain and made him realize that he was messing with the wrong people. It would save me time from advising him again.

Unfortunately, three warnings and a gentle reminder from Hino wasn't enough for Basil. I had to make sure he never took advantage of our services again.

"If you're going to say you have no money then you shouldn't come to school wearing these kicks," I said, dropping to his level. Basil tried to scurry off but kept his bug eyes on me. He wasn't just bigger but two years older. He used to be the co-captain of the volleyball team. Basil was banking on getting a sports scholarship to a good university but he got reckless on the court and injured his knee. He thought his former status entitled him to payment extensions from us, but he was sadly mistaken.

"I'll have it tomorrow," Basil said to Hino, who stood by one of the power ramps. My friend wasn't one to dirty his hands, but once in a blue moon, he would toss his moral compass and go ape shit on people. It had been a while since that happened and I could tell by his disinterest that today would not be one of those days. Ah well. I suppose Basil would just have to settle for me.

"I promise I'll bring it all in so call off your hound, Matsunaga," Basil pleaded.

"Unfortunately for you, Basil," I said, moving closer to him. "I'm the only one you need to be making promises to."

Basil grunted as I stepped on his leg.

"I'm the one deciding your fate," I said, forcing him to take off his shoes and watch. I tossed them to Hino, who effortlessly caught the items. "I think they're worth a good twelve to thirteen hundred bucks."

"Maybe more," Hino replied. "They look like they could be limited edition."

"Well, there you have it," I said, forcing Basil to stand up. "We will consider this a late payment fee on top of the full amount you owe."

Basil's eyes widened. "Are you insane? That's so fucking unreaonable! Midterm answers shouldn't be worth that much, even if they are for the graduating class. It's a rip off!"

"I'll show you what a rip off looks like you little snake," I threatened, twisting his arm behind his back until he screamed. "I'm already in a bad mood. Don't make me throw your ass off this roof."

"You'll go to jail!" Basil scoffed. "You wouldn't risk that—you're not that stupid!"

I forced him to walk near the ledge, just close enough to threaten him. "You think that scares me?" I asked, getting angry.

He looked like he was ready to shit his pants.

"Dropping him could be payback for the whole rat-in-your-locker thing," Hino commented.

"Ooooh, yeah!" I howled. "I almost forget about that. Thanks for the reminder, buddy. I had to join the fucking student council because of this waste of space, and to think the dumb old dean considers your incompetent ass one of Jackheights brightest. Say your prayers, Basil."

I felt his body shiver in my grasp. "I-I'll expose it!" he yelled, terrified. "Your business, I'll expose the whole thing if you drop me! I'll sue both of you for everything you got and I'll make sure my lawyers don't rest until the four of you rot in jail!"

"Assuming you survive the fall," Hino pointed out.

"What do his parents do again?" I asked, turning Basil around. I kicked the back of his calves to drop him on his knees then lowered his upper body off the roof. He screamed and cursed me out.

"They sell real estate," Hino said, showing no interest in saving the senior. "Residential mostly but the brokerage has some pretty high tier clients. If we're being honest, they're a little fish in a big pond."

"You think we could get Basil here expelled from Jackheights?" I asked. "Banned from all other prestigious private schools in the city?"

"W-What the hell are you talking about?" Basil shouted miserably. "I'm the victim here!"

"Are you?" I laughed. "What do you think is going to happen when the school board finds out you only passed the eleventh grade because of our services? And who do you think you're threatening when you say you will expose us? It's not just us, you dumb piece of shit. It's Loyal. Do you think his old man will just sit back and watch his only son rot in jail?"

Basil's expression said it all. He was finally starting to understand how powerless he was against us.