Chapter 9 - Arisa

I thought curing my curiosity would leave me a little satisfied but the gears in my head were still turning. I was contemplating ways to catch Loyal in the act. I wanted to see one of his transactions with my own eyes. I wanted to know every detail and every student that was crazy enough to ask for his services and then I wanted to sabotage it all. I wanted to pay him back for using my fear of heights against me.

I slammed my locker shut and grumbled at the ceiling. How could I let myself get caught up in his arms like that? I should know better than to trust strangers with my body. I was strong enough to drop him. I should have been strong enough to refuse his offer to look at the view. My heart fluttered at the memory of his scent, the sound of his voice, and his firm hold on my waist. It was all so ridiculous and unnecessary. Falling for that type of stuff would only prove me to be an idiot. He threatened my life. He made me cry. There was nothing romantic about that.

I put the jerk to the back of my mind and focused on getting to my next class. Third period was history. It wasn't my favourite subject but it wasn't my least favourite either. It wasn't math. I learned over the years that I would never have a good relationship with algebra or calculus. It just wasn't my cup of tea and that was okay. I had my own strengths and weaknesses. Luckily, I would be able to show off during the last period. P.E was my stress reliever; the one class I looked forward to because I could let go of all the frustrations I had built up during the day. And today, there were a lot.

"Look, look!" I heard a group of first-years swoon. "Isn't that the human lie detector?"

I refused to give that rooftop loser anymore of my attention but I couldn't help overhear another girl gush in agreement.

"Gosh! You can hook me up to that fine ass any day."

I had to stop myself from gagging.

I manoeuvred around the deluded first years and kept my head down. I wanted nothing to do with that bully, not until I had some dirt on him. I barely reached the double doors when I bumped into something lean and hard. I pushed against a firm chest and glanced up; blue and whiskey opposed one another. I broke away and stared past the jerk to acknowledge the boys behind him. Hino was one of them—ugh, course, he was friends with the prick who threatened to push me off the rooftop. Then there was boy who looked like he could be a Burberry model. Did Loyal pick his friends purely based on looks?

I tried to walk past the group but Loyal wouldn't allow it. "We have unfinished business, Arisa," he said loudly.

Great. He was drawing more attention to me. As if I wasn't already being judged for not wearing a Jackheights uniform. I took a deep breath and formed a fist with my hand.

Don't be reckless in public, I thought to myself. Don't be reckless in public. Don't let this jerk let you be reckless in public!

"My boys!" a big voice boomed from behind.

A new face ran towards us. I recognized the unkept uniform, the countless orange tattoos claiming his forearms, and the entitlement he embodied. This guy, he was the delinquent I saw going into the dean's office. His bright brown eyes and giddy smile lit up the corridor but I could see past their forced intentions. He wasn't as happy as he appeared to be. He wasn't as tough either. I knew that look all too well; I had mastered the facade while attending Oakville High.

The delinquent stopped beside me but kept his attention on his friends. His build was rather impressive. He was taller than Hino and Loyal but a few inches shorter than the model, and his toffee complexion was flawed with fresh cuts on the side of his face.

"How was the student council?" Hino asked. "Make any progress with Tomasia?"

"Yeah right. That girl is a real piece of work."

"You're learning this now?" Loyal asked. His eyes were on me but I had no intention of returning the favour. My priority was the delinquent. I couldn't help but notice how the other students in the hall were avoiding him. They were too scared to cross his path or make eye contact.

"Khaleel Abdul," I thought out loud.

His cheery expression deflated. "Do I know you?" the troublemaker asked, staring me down.

"Nope," I replied, turning to walk in the opposite direction. I couldn't hold his gaze. I couldn't give him a chance to read me like I had him.

I snuck a glance back and found the group following me. Crap! I picked up speed and rushed into the ladies' room. Loyal wouldn't be dumb enough to chase me in there. Would he? I couldn't underestimate that psychopath. I rushed into a stall, sat on the toilet, and cursed my luck. I waited a few minutes to make sure I didn't hear any deep voices infiltrating the bathroom. Then I stood up, flushing the unused toilet, and made my exit. I claimed a sink and washed my hands, hoping to appear inconspicuous.

The girl at the adjacent sink soaped her hands as well. "Nice jeans," she said.

"Thanks," I replied. "They're doing a great job making me stand out."

"I wish Jackheights didn't have a dress code," she complained, triggering the automatic faucet. "I feel like I can only express myself through my jewelry, hair or backpack."

I admired her athletic physique. Her thick curly hair was tied up to showcase the studs in her ear. "You're doing a great job so far," I told her.

"Thanks. I'm Matilda, by the way."

"Arisa."

"Oh!" Her eyes lit up. "I was supposed to show you around this morning but couldn't make it because of an impromptu away game."

"Tomasia was filling in for you?"

Matilda nodded. I watched her move toward the paper towel dispenser and yank a couple of sheets. "Hope she wasn't too strict. She can be a little intense sometimes."

"She was fine," I assured her. "I was the idiot who didn't listen to her warning."

"Her warning about what?"

"The rooftop."

Matilda rolled her eyes. I watched her dry her hands and throw the wet sheets into the waste bin. "I feel like I have to apologize on behalf of those idiots," she said. "Tomasia knows better than anyone what Loyal and his pack of demons are like."

"She does?"

Matilda nodded.

"What's her connection to the jerk?"

Matilda tilted her head. "She didn't tell you? He's her twin brother."