Chapter 7 - Arisa

The rooftop turned out to be a calm and peaceful place. It was so inviting, I could hardly contain my excitement. I found a power ramp and decided to lean against it to stare at the sky. The white clouds looked like cotton candy, soft enough to touch and eat. The wind was so gentle and soothing, it slowly put me to sleep. Normally, I would have fought against the urge to nap in a public place, but I couldn't resist today. My search for the rooftop was exhausting.

Bells chimed in my ear, urging me to wake up twenty minutes later. I couldn't stop myself from yawning, and as I did, I inhaled a unique scent. It smelled masculine and foreign at the same time. My eyes flashed down to find a school blazer covering me, much like a blanket, it was tucked to my sides to make sure the wind didn't tamper with it. I sat up straight and stared ahead at a tall and lean figure. It was a boy wearing the Jackheights uniform. Coincidentally, he was missing his blazer.

"Who are you?" I asked.

He faced me as a gentle breeze swayed through his wavy dark hair. My cool blues contrasted with his whiskey eyes, making it impossible to turn away. I held his gaze for as long as I could, trying to understand his stoic expression. When his feet shifted in my direction, I felt a chill crawl down my spine. I watched as he came to stand over me and offered his hand, which I refused to take.

I didn't know this boy but the slight amusement in his eyes made me want to put my guard up. "Is this yours?" I asked, offering the blazer.

He didn't speak. Instead, the boy dropped to his feet and examined my face. It was startling but I forced myself to look past it. I shoved the blazer in his hands and promptly stood up to leave.

"Where are you going, Arisa?" His voice was low and crisp but I didn't have time to fall for it. He knew my name. How did he know my name?

I whipped around and glared at him. I didn't have to say a word for him to know what I was thinking. "I make a point to know people who come looking for me," he said, standing up.

"Who said I was looking for you?"

"Getting access to this rooftop goes hand in hand with looking for me," he answered, getting ready to put on his blazer. He placed his arms through the sleeves and shook the collar to make sure it fit his lean figure. Those whisky eyes found me again and broke the barrier I was in the middle of building. "Now that you're here, may I show you something?"

"Show me what?" I asked.

He gripped my wrist so fast, I didn't get a chance to react. He moved me to the rooftop ledge, where my feet scampered and my voice broke. "I-I'm scared of heights," I blurted.

He ignored my protests. I glanced back to find his chest pressing against my shoulder blades. The foreign scent invaded my senses again. "Do you like what you see?" he asked.

I stared ahead and took in the suburban neighbourhood, the greenery surrounding it, and the paths zig-zagging through the streets.

"Are you satisfied with your findings?" His warm breath was on my ears now, working to drown out the sound of the wind. I didn't think to stare down before but now it was all I could do to make sure I didn't trip.

"S-Sure," I stammered, trying to move back a step.

His hold on me tightened.

"S-Stop," I panicked, turning to hold his buttoned shirt.

He spoke softly and made his intentions abundantly clear. "I asked you if you were satisfied with your findings, Arisa?"

I was warned. I was told to stay away from the rooftop. I didn't take Tomasia's warning seriously because I thought I could handle whatever came at me. I was arrogant; too curious for my own good.

"I wasn't looking for you," I glared.

"There is more to your story."

"Let me go or you will live to regret it."

"Live to regret it?" he laughed. "That's a cute little threat. Is there anything substantial to back up all this big talk?"

I resisted his touch and used my body weight to push him away from the ledge. It worked for a second but he was quick to lean over and threatened to drop me again. "Has Tomasia been running her mouth?" he asked, agitated.

"I said stop!" I yelled, terrified.

His eyes widened just as a few tears trickled down my cheeks. He stood up straight, turned around, and gently pulled me away from the ledge. Anger consumed me and I instinctively threw a punch at the jerk. He blocked it with his right hand. I manoeuvred my legs to make him trip over them but he somehow avoided that too. Ugh. Of course, he knew how to fight. I rotated my arm and then my body. I pulled him in and took advantage of his initial block by kicking him in the stomach. His grip on me loosened and he fell backwards.

"Is that substantial enough?" I breathed.

His eyes widened for a second time. Then he laughed. "Where have you been all my life?"

When I refused to answer, he provided one for me. "Preparing for this meeting, I suppose."

"You shouldn't assume things," I glared, letting the wind dry my tears. "And you should share your name when you call others by theirs."

He stood up. "You haven't figured it out yet?"

"Obviously not. So, you can either tell me or I can beat it out of you."

It was the way his smug expression withered, slowly, but full of malice. That was when it hit me. According to my intel, only two people were feared by the student body. Khaleel Abdul and Loyal Wilson. I had one good card up my sleeve to find out which of the two bullies he was, and I had to do it in a memorable way.

"I can tell you're a blunt girl," the jerk said. "I respect that, I do. People should learn to be more candid when they talk--"

"You're a smart guy," I cut him off. "Smart enough to get into an ivy league school and offer students at Jackheights special services."

His eyes dimmed. "What did you just say?"

"You're calculating and resourceful," I continued, maintaining my poker face. "You took charge in an instant, learned about my fear of heights in an instant, and used it to threaten my life. So, my judgement, my perception of you Loyal Wilson, stands pretty damn firm."

I waited for him to correct me but he didn't. Why? Because I was right on the money. A part of me wanted to shove the paper airplane in his hands as proof of my victory, but another part thought it would be better to use it as leverage.

"Underestimate me again and I'm going to make you wish you hadn't," I said, taking my leave.