XXII.

When I woke up my entire body felt so stiff. I wiggled my toes and arched my back. Pain immediately blossomed in my torso, causing all of the limbs to twitch and contract uncontrollably for a moment. The sensation of my body contracting was almost as uncomfortable as the bullet wound itself.

"Rise and shine."

I opened my eye and saw Tyson peering over at me from the top of the book he was reading. It had a picture of a gold pin on the front, but I couldn't see the title from my position. I lifted my head and saw Luca asleep, resting his head on his arms on the table by my waist. His chest was rising and falling steadily. He looked so peaceful and elegant when he was a sleep. How could he possibly be such a devil when he was awake?

"Admiring Sleeping Beauty?" Tyson chuckled.

He placed the book he was reading on the table and rose to his feet, "Do you mind if I check your stitches?"

I gave him a small nod and he slowly peeled the blanket from me and pulled up my shirt slightly. The motion of him pulling my shirt up gave me shivers. What I was I doing? This wasn't the time. He wasn't trying to tease me, he was trying to check my wounds. Geez Hayley, get your head out of the gutters.

I began to think about the night before and how the two men had made comments about how Tyson and Luca were both my boyfriends. It seemed silly now, but if I really had to choose between them, I don't know what I would have done. I had opened my mouth to offer myself as tribute but everything exploded after that. I was grateful I didn't actually come to a decision before that. 

The truth was this.

I was the least versed person in the room when it came to relationships. Evan was the closest thing I had ever had to a boyfriend. Besides Luca, Evan was the only other guy I've kissed. We even had sex once, but we were young and I knew better than to risk bringing another child into this situation. We had been struggling enough when Gia came into the world. I loved Gia dearly, but I did not want to put myself into the same situation as Fiona. Everything about my life was unreliable and expendable. Having a relationship just seemed like an utter disaster.

In fact, I was so awkward and inexperienced that I rarely knew how to deal with Luca trying to flirt with me or make a move. I don't know why he would even try. He was more busy than the rest of us. And besides, I wasn't anything special. I didn't have the good looks that I saw in women on store windows. I was completely average looking in every way. My body was  covered in unexplainable scars and imperfections. The thought of letting someone see them terrified me to no end. Those scars did everything but  boost my confidence. 

Tyson tugged the wound ever so gently. The stitches held and he smiled, "Looks good. Do you want to lay in your bed? Or any painkillers while I remember?"

Luca yawned and stretched. Tyson rolled his eyes and let out a small laugh.

"I would like to lay in my bed if it's not too much." I replied, "I don't want to irritate my stitches."

"Nonsense. We can put you in the wheelchair and roll you wherever you want."

"A wheelchair?" I laughed, immediately feeling out of breath.

I began to cough uncontrollably. My throat was as dry as a desert. Tyson went to the sink and filled a small dixie cup with some water. I accepted it readily and drank the water like I had been parched for weeks. He then wandered to the other side of the room and rolled a wheelchair a back over. He couldn't be serious. Where did he even get a wheelchair?

"I'll take her to her room." Luca assured.

His voice was rough and sleepy and...hot. Jeez. Why was I so horny today? I got shot last night.