XXI.

"Now I just have to stitch it." Tyson assured, wiping his forehead with the sleeve of his shirt.

Luca gave me a weak smile, "You did so good kitten. I'm so proud of you."

I let out of weak sound. I wasn't quite sure what I was intending but I could actually speak because of the towel in my mouth. My breathing was still sharp and uneven, but I was getting so tired that I had no other choice but to slow down.

The feeling of Tyson stitching me up was nothing compared to him feeling around for the bullet. I closed my eyes and began to relax. The worst of it was over. I was still alive somehow.

Luca wiped the hair that was stuck to my face away and began to rub my cheeks with his thumbs. He turned my head slightly and kissed the spot just to the left of my ear. Then he continued his soothing movements. 

"All done." Tyson said with a sigh.

Axel and Wilson finally let go of me and my body went limp on the table.

Tyson peeled the mask and the gloves off and tossed them in the trash. He washed his hands one again and began to look my body over for any more wounds. I had some small cuts and a gash just below my hip. He dabbed some alcohol on them and cleaned the blood away. His bangs were sweaty and stuck to his forehead. He looked like that procedure had taken years off of his life, but he was rebounding. 

"All done." He teased, "You were a star patient as always."

I smiled weakly and closed my eyes. Luca continued to run his hands through my hair. He didn't seem to know what else to do with himself. It was so odd to me, seeing him be this affectionate. For once, his emotions - besides anger - were evident in every expression. The way his hands cradled my face was so gentle and secure. The tears in his eyes proved that he wasn't a hardened monster. There was still a part of him that was receptive to emotion. Did he actually like me? On an emotional level? That was definitely something I was not expecting. But I wasn't stupid, and the way he was acting was only supporting my conclusion. 

"She can stay here for the rest of the night." Tyson told Luca, "We can move her in the morning to an actual bed."

Luca nodded but didn't move.

"Are you going to watch her?" Tyson continued after some silence. 

"I'll be awake for a while." Luca told him.

"Okay. I'll try to get some sleep now so we can switch." He offered.

Luca's warm, calloused hands left my face. I shivered, feeling the draft brush the side of my face where his hands had once protected. I heard the sound of a metal chair screeching across the floor and stopping beside the table. He took the cloth from my mouth and tossed it in the barrel. Once he sat his hands returned to their post, providing warmth and comfort.  

"Feel better tiger." Axel commented, patting my shoulder gently.

"Yeah, we'll see you in the morning." Wilson added with a yawn.

"See ya soon." Tyson said lightheartedly, trying to make me smile again.

I tried but ended up choking on the saturated mixture of blood and saliva that had settled in my throat. My chest was bouncing up and down unevenly as the air I breathed in got caught on clots of blood. I swallowed hard but my throat was just so dry. It didn't really help. Eventually I settled and turned my head to look over at Luca. Now it was just the two of us in the room, and it was dead silent. 

"You saved me." He whispered, licking his lips, "I'd be dead right now if you didn't do that."

I gave him a weak smile. He returned it and kissed my nose.

"Don't do that ever again." He added with a groan.

"Save...you?" I asked, trying to laugh but only coughing.

"Take a bullet like that." He claimed, "I was so scared. I thought you were dead for sure."

"I'm still....kickin." I muttered.

"Yes you are, kitten." He hummed, "I'm so relieved."

He continued to hum softly and ran his hand through my hair. I tried not to feel creeped out and uncomfortable over the fact that he was staring at me so deeply while I was caked in blood and dirt still. I wanted badly to take a shower, but I knew it wasn't going to be an option. I don't think I'd be able to stand by myself in the shower. 

"Go to sleep." He said quietly, "I'll be here. You're safe."

"I'm cold." I whispered.

"I'll get you a blanket." He hushed.

 He disappeared for a moment and came back with the wool blanket that was on my infirmary bed.

"Thanks." I coughed pulling it up to my chin carefully. 

He made sure I was properly covered and kissed my forehead, "Goodnight."

After trying to come to terms with the fact that Luca was being affectionate and kind to me, I surrendered to sleep and drifted off.