XIV.

I woke up in a completely unfamiliar room. It looked nothing like my old one, in all its white-walled and barred window glory. This room was much nicer. The walls were blue, with hard wooden floors and a big window. The window had a sitting ledge by it, so you could sit and look out into the city. The room was beautiful, I just wasn't completely sure how I ended up there.

I pushed the door open and stepped out into the hallway silently. The hallway was equally as exquisite, with glossy walls and dark hardwood floors. It reminded me of my house when I was little.

The soft sound of metal clinking together could be heard. I turned my head and saw a large blue nosed dog turn the corner, his muzzle low against the carpet. It must have been able to tell that something was off. It lifted its head, barking when it saw me. I flinched at the sheer volume of the bark. It echoed through the halls, no doubt awaking anyone else in the house.

The dog trotted over to me, his tail wagging happily. I don't think this was supposed to be a family friendly dog. It had silver, tag-less chains around its neck. It looked like the dogs I'd seen people fighting at absurd hours of the night.

The dog came over excitedly, licking my hands and greeting me. I giggled happily. He wasn't as scary as he looked. He was gentle.

"Baz," I heard someone call in a rough morning voice.

I lifted my head and saw Luca turn the corner, ruffling his hair with his hand. He was only wearing a pair of sweatpants, causing my breath to catch in the back of my throat. Don't do this Hayley. Don't let him get into your head.

He lifted his head, noticing that he was too late. Baz had already woken me up.

"Sorry," He grunted in the same low morning voice that sent chills up my spine a moment earlier.

"Is this your house?" I asked.

He nodded his head, seeming to wake up considerably, "I figured you could use some time out of that building."

I eyed him carefully, "Are you sure?"

"Yes," He nodded, "I am sure. Now c'mon, I'll make breakfast,"

~*~

"I don't mind staying at the base." I said softly.

I couldn't help but feel like I was intruding, besides the fact that Luca had taken me here himself.

"It's not good for you." He shook his head, "The others...you think they're stuck there but they come and go as they want. They have their own homes there, with their own belongings and clothing."

I lifted my head and peered over at  him curiously.

"I guess I just never got around to having Tyson move you out of the infirmary." He explained, "I was torturing you by keeping you there."

"You notice everything." I commented.

"More than you know." He replied.

I wasn't exactly sure I wanted to know everything he noticed about me, so I left it at that. I ate my food silently, trying my best to ignore the hopeful look of Sebastian, or Baz as Luca called him. The poor dog was sitting at my feet, drooling at the sight of scrambled eggs that were on my plate. I wanted nothing more than to slip some to him.

I waited until Luca turned and decided to make my move. I couldn't possibly resist those eyes. He was utterly adorable.

"Don't even think about it." Luca chided, glancing at me over his shoulder with a knowing look.

I gaped at him, "but-"

"He's bad enough as it is." Luca said, amusement evident in his voice, "You give him a piece of food and he'll never leave your side."