Episode Six, Part 4:

W i t h o u t   F e a r

Keep thinking about how much we changed today.

Sol and Wynn returned to the rubble, beginning once again to shift through all the rock in a hope to dismiss their fears. Wynn could barely breathe as he saw MaReya and Fabian again, and the only reason that he could keep going was because of Sol. 

After a few moments of digging around, and hearing that people were slowly starting to exit the Quarters on Dreea's command, Sol screamed the name of the boy they were looking for, crumbling to her feet. 

Wynn was by her side in an instant, locating the young boy at her knees, seeing his eyes closed. 

"Jonas!" Sol screamed, gripping onto him. She wrapped him in his arms, holding tightly as Wynn worked to free his legs from under the rock. It was ironic that he was now in the same position as Bas - realising the truth before Sol did. 

"Sol-" 

"Is he free? I need to get him to Aeryn or Fenn." 

"Sol, he's not... He's-" 

"Hurt, I know!" She couldn't see it. Couldn't see that there was a reason his eyes were opening, or why his chest wasn't moving, or why he wasn't holding her back. "Hurry up, Wynn!" 

Wynn sighed regretfully, turning to the young boy's leg and jarring it free from the rock - the only way he could get his foot loose. If there was any chance of him being alive, he would have responded then because Wynnlow knew that it would have been incredibly agonising. 

Sol pushed herself to her feet, still holding the young boy in her arms, yelling at Wynnlow to go ahead. 

He was hesitant to leave too far, so he jogged ahead just a little bit, knowing she didn't have enough strength left to continue yelling at him for not running further. 

Everyone who was leaving the Quarters couldn't help but notice Wynn and their Sovereign running inside. There was fear and aching hearts everywhere, panic as they hurried inside. 

Dreea was right by the door along with Aeryn - checking to see if all of their people were okay before they left. They saw Wynn first, worried when he had entered alone, but then as Sol came in a few seconds later, their hearts shattered. 

"Wynn!" Ares exclaimed, once again running over to his brother. He hadn't yet noticed Sol and Jonas. 

"Don't ever scare us like that again-" Ares placed his hand on Wynn's shoulder, but he shrugged it off, unwilling to focus on anyone except Sol. 

"Aeryn, you have to help," Sol whimpered. "Part of the wall came down on him," she explained, still talking as she walked into the nearest room, leaving Aeryn no choice but to follow her in. 

Wynn and Dreea followed closely behind, shutting the door so no one could see in. 

Sol carefully set Jonas down against the table that Aeryn had rushed to cleared, lifting his head up for Wynn to place something soft underneath. There was a duffle bag on the floor, and not wanting to waste any time, Wynn grabbed it onto it, guiding it under the young boy's head. 

Aeryn and Dreea hadn't had a chance to properly see Jonas when he was carried in, but the minute that he was lying down, it became clear that it was already too late: Jonas was gone. 

"Riv..." Dreea sighed, knowing how she would take in. 

"What?" Sol asked, not even beginning to comprehend what she was trying to say. 

"Sol," Wynn copied Dreea. He stepped right up to Sol's side, running his hand down her arm to take hold of her's. 

She pulled herself away as if thinking 'there's no time for this,' a look of disbelief on her face as she shuffled away from him. She placed one of her hands in Jonas' hair and the other gripped onto his hand, knowing that Wynn wouldn't dare try to interfere again. 

"Why aren't you doing anything?" Sol asked Aeryn. "Is he not hurt? Is he just unconscious?" Her eyes scanned over Jonas, not seeming to register the blood that was in his hair, or staining his lips, or soaked through his shirt. 

"No, Riverly, he's... He's gone. I'm so sorry," Aeryn whispered, never remembering a time that her heart had broke more. 

Sol shook her head, looking at the other two expecting to see equal rejection on their face, but they were all looking at her the same. 

"No. You're wrong. He can't be dead because- Because I promised that I would look after him. I promised," Sol explained. That should be enough of a reason why nothing bad could ever happen to him, right? Because all she wanted was to keep him safe? Because she loved him? Because you're not supposed to lose the people you love...right? 

Aeryn looked away, knowing there was nothing she could say to make her feel any better, and the fact was that anything they tried would make her feel worse. She pushed her hand on Dreea's arm and the Sovereign understood, leading the two of them out of the room. 

The door shut behind them without even waiting for Wynn to follow, because they all knew he would stay. 

"Sol," he whispered her name once they were alone. Once it was just the two of them... 

"I promised them," she murmured, her lips trembling and her hands letting go of the young boy. 

Wynn didn't say anything, but he pulled Sol into him and enveloped her in his arms. She cried against his chest miserably, wondering how she was still standing, feeling her tears soak through Wynn's shirt - who didn't mind one bit. 

As his hand ran up and down her back soothingly, he leaned his chin against the top of her head, so there was no distance between them at all. They had both woken up like any other day and ended up losing some of the people they cared about the most. It would never fully sink in how they were able to continue living when it felt as though so much of themselves had died with the people they loved. 

Six // Part Four
'Is he free?'

Because you're not supposed to lose the people you love, right?

All I can say is that I hope you weren't listening to 'Ungodly Hour' like I was when I was writing this... This loss is something that I knew would have to happen for a while now, and I wish this sweet guy could stay in this story with them, but you'll understand why he can't. At least he's finally with his brother again.

Farewell Jonas Rule.