A Rescue Mission

"You spoke about keeping students safe, Eraserhead," one reporter was saying on live TV, "but according to our information, you encouraged them to fight during the attack on the training camp, putting them in grave danger. What was your reasoning for this?"

"I concluded that because we didn't know the full situation," Aizawa replied, leaning forward in his chair to get closer to his microphone, "allowing them to use their Quirks would help avoid the worst possible outcome."

"And what outcome might that be?" the reporter pressed. "Do you believe that 26 victims and one missing child is a win for UA High?"

"I assure you that things could've gone much more poorly," Aizawa answered. "I feared that every student would be tortured and killed in the end."

"Most of the victims were harmed by the gas attack," Principal Nezu added, leaning into his own mic. "We've determined it to be the result of poisonous Quirk used by one of the villains. It's thanks to the quick actions of Miss Kendo and Mr. Tetsutetsu that more students were not affected. Additionally, we're providing mental health counseling to every student, though we do not see any serious signs of psychological damage at the moment."

"So you've found a bright spot in this tragedy?" that same reporter accused.

"We're relieved that an entire class of heroes in training still have a future," Nezu corrected.

"Can you say the same thing for the abducted Katsuki Bakugo?" the reporter demanded.

Aizawa's eyes widened slightly, but no emotion crossed his passive face.

"He enrolled at your school with excellent marks and went on to win the sports festival," the reporter continued. "Before that, he survived the attack of a sludge villain, who eventually had to be taken down by All Might. The boy is obviously strong and heroic. On the other hand, the violence he displayed in the finals and his attitude in the awards ceremony both show that he cannot control his temper. What if this is the real reason the villains kidnapped him? What if they're brainwashing Bakugo right now, pulling him towards the path of evil? How can you sit there and tell us that he still has a future?"

This reporter knows exactly what he's doing, Vlad King thought, staring dead ahead. He's trying to antagonize us so we say something damning.

Movement in the corner of his eye caused him to glance over, only to see Aizawa stand from his chair beside him, looking at the reporter.

You can't fall for it, Eraser, Vlad King willed Class 1-A's teacher. He probably knows how much you hate the media! Don't let him trick you!

Aizawa surprised everyone when he suddenly bowed.

"As Katsuki Bakugo's teacher," Aizawa said in a low voice, "I take full responsibility for not taming his violent tendencies. However, his actions at the sports festival were born of his deep-seeded convictions. He's trying harder than anyone in his pursuit to become the top hero. If the villains think they have a chance with him, then they are grossly mistaken. I can guarantee you that much."

"That doesn't amount to real evidence, though," the reporter argued. "I didn't ask you how you feel, I asked if you had concrete information."

"We're doing our best with the intel we currently have available," Nezu answered. "I have no doubt that the police will break this case very soon. We won't rest until our missing student has returned to UA."

"Ha!" Bakugo smirked, pointing up at Nezu's face on the TV screen in the villain bar. "Did you hear the teachers? They get me more than I thought. I'll never join your League of Bastards!!"