What We Learn...

"I know I wasn't here long," Deku was saying, "but thank you...for everything...."

Gran Torino yawned, leaning on his cane on his porch. Deku , in her uniform, was leaving for UA early in the morning. It was time for everyone to return back to school; their internships were over.

"There's no need for that," the old man replied. "I wasn't even around when the big stuff happened."

"Yeah, but the only reason I was able to stand all the big stuff was because of your instruction and sparring!" the greenette responded, her hero suit case in her arms and her backpack slung over her shoulder.

Suddenly, her previously-injured ankle was given a swift knock by Gran Torino's cane. 

"You only made it through because that hero killer let you," Gran Torino corrected sternly as Deku hopped slightly on one foot. "I will admit, you have learned quite a bit and can control your Quirk somewhat now. But don't think I didn't see your results from the hospital! You went over your limit and got a stress fracture on your right arm, as if it wasn't damaged already by your reckless ideas! You're too impatient and need to think before you move!"

Deku looked down at her scarred hand.

"I'm sure you know this already," Gran Torino said in a gentler voice, "but if you want to be the Number One Hero like All Might, you have to learn much more."

"...Yes, sir!" Deku responded.

"See ya around-" Gran Torino began to walk back into his home.

"Wait!" Deku called. "I....I have a question! I've been wondering for a while now, but there was no good time to ask. I was mostly in the hospital for the recent days, as you know. I mean, now isn't the best time either, but here I am-"

"Out with it," Gran Torino interrupted gruffly.

"....Even though you trained the number one hero and you're really strong," Deku said quietly, looking down, "your hero name is.....almost u-unknown, sir....Why is that?"

"I was never interested in long-term hero work," Gran Torino shrugged. 

"What?!" Deku yelped, surprised.

"In the past, I had a resolution that required the free use of my Quirk," Gran Torino looked up at the sky. "That's the only reason why I got my license. It'd be better to hear this from Toshi----- I mean, All Might. You can expect more from him, as your main mentor. That's all. Have a safe trip back, lass!"

"Thank you very much, again! Bye!" the girl bowed then jogged off, waving behind her as she ran to catch her train.

With that, Gran Torino turned and went inside, slamming his door. He leaned against his cane, thinking to himself. This girl was the world's future. She may not look or act like it much now, but she was just like All Might himself.

"Hey, girl!" Gran Torino poked his head out, yelling at Deku and making her stop and face him just before she turned the corner.

"Who are you?" he called.

"Seriously?" she laughed. "I'm Izuku Midoriya!"

"That's not right," Gran Torino chided.

"....I'm Deku," she called, waving her arms. "My name is Deku!"

Gran Torino grinned and waved shortly, walking back inside. Together, he and Toshinori would have to keep a close eye on this girl. If they didn't, they may miss something truly special.

There were great things ahead of her, that much was apparent.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------