07

On the way home neither of us spoke a word. Before getting inside the house umar whispered to me. "Dont tell Ma about...him" he stopped for a while before saying 'him'.

We had already informed ma about ammar meeting his parents. When we entered the house. We heard ma sobbing. Umar and I looked at each other and ran into the house. Ma was not there in the living room. The sound was coming from ma's room.

When we entered the room, We were shocked to see uncle Muhammad standing near the wardrobe.

How did he get here?

Hearing the sound of footsteps they both looked at us. Umar marched towards uncle Muhammad angrily. Uncle Muhammad's posture remained still. His facial expression remained unchanged.

"Umar" Ma stopped him. He glared at uncle Muhammad. I didnt even want to think what would have happened if Ma had not stopped him. Umar was very short tempered. He would get angry very easily.

It took him a very long time to work on his anger. If ma wouldn't have been supportive enough, today umar would have been a different person.

A bad kind of different person.

I was afraid of what was going to happen next. It was difficult to calm the heart which was beating very loudly. I was afraid someone would hear it.

Instead of leaving umar alone, uncle Muhammad took slow and small steps towards umar. Uncle Muhammad kept his hand on Umar's shoulder. Me and ma just  took in the exchange. As soon as uncle Muhammad's hand touched Umar's shoulder, Umar jerked of his hand.

Uncle Muhammad was shocked would be an understatement. His eyes spoke a million words. He was guilty. But guilty for what? Whats done is done. Nothing can be changed.

Umar took 2 steps back. "Mom, tell him to leave this place right now."

Umar was very calm when he spoke. Ma looked at uncle Muhammad. After 8 years of leaving behind his wife and his child, his eyes still shone with infinity love for ma.

Ma could not hate uncle Muhammad either. Although she has, countless time told us that she hates him, deep inside she doesnt.

Ma was still waiting for the day uncle Muhammad will return. After uncle Muhammad left Ma had only two hopes to live.

One was uncle Muhammad's return and second was Umar. If uncle Muhammad loved Ma so much then why did he leave all of a sudden?

"Umar, won't you listen to your dad once?" Uncle Muhammad asked.

His voice sounding hoarse. Umar looked at uncle with same fierceness he was looking earlier. "You are not my dad." Umar emphasized the word 'not' and 'dad'. I heard a gasp from Ma.

"Umar." She called out to umar. When Umar turned to her she gave him a tight slap.

I covered my mouth in shock. The sound of the slap echoed in room. The slap didnt hurt his cheeks but his heart. Ma has never laid a finger on umar. She always made him understand with love and care.

"How can you talk like that? He is your father." Ma said. She sounded very rude.

It was like I was intruding into their family matter. I was about to slip away from there when Ma spoke again. "Listen to him umar." Umar's hands were clenched tightly. When he didn't response Ma sighed.

"8 years ago we had so many financial issues. I was drowned in debt. I couldnt pay them so I.." when uncle Muhammad was speaking umar continued uncle Muhammad's words. "..So you ran away. And after 8 years you remembered us?"

Umar's word left uncle Muhammad speechless. He didnt expect anything close to this from umar. Ma looked at me for help.

I went near him and hushed him when he started speaking again. He looked at me and the mouth which opened to talk closed. He closed his eyes and took few deep breaths. Just then I gestured uncle Muhammad to continue.