05

6 Months later

With a sigh of irritation I looked at my phone for the fifth time since last 24 minutes. I was beyond irritated. How can something be so annoying and important at the same time?

I was waiting for Ma's call to confirm that I had left my book at home or not but she still hasn't called me.

I sighed, yet again as the bell rang indicating the end of school. I took my bag and left for home. I usually hail a taxi but today I felt like walking home.

So I could drop by the cafe and see If I had, Indeed left my book there when I dropped by there in the morning. As I was walking my thoughts wandered to my some unforgettable thoughts. I was learnt to swallow all my sorrows, dreams, tears, happiness, hope, expectations and most importantly my grief.

Life was not easy. After everyone got to know about the divorce, It was all the girls flaw. I was fed up with staying home and listening to ma justify the purpose of divorce to the people I didnt even know. So I started working again in my old school.

Indeed all looked at me like I was their prey but no one dared to ask something, yet. Although the principal wanted to know the reason why I had joined work again. It was so hard to control myself but I did. The past events still bring a wave of nauseousness.

My chain of thoughts were broken by an annoying sound of phone ringing. I looked at my phone and it was ma calling me. I answered my phone quickly.

"Assalamu Alaikum ayah. I checked here. The book is here. You dont need to worry." Ma said. I was glad it was there but I was already on my way to the cafe. I sighed. I mumbled a thank you and hung up. I turned around and started walking. Rayyan didn't bother me anymore but being divorcee did.

"Aunty ball please." I turned around and saw a kid around 4 years waving at me. He was playing ball in the middle of the road and there was no one else with him. That is so risky. How can his parents let him play like this?

His waving broke me from my trance. I looked at ball bouncing near my leg. I picked up the ball and walked towards him. I held his little hand, ignoring his protests. I pulled him towards the pavement.

When I released his hand from my grip, he crossed his hands and huffed. He brought forward his hand and gestured for me to pass the ball. I closed my eyes for a good few seconds and opened them again to see the boy remained still.

I bent down a little and very politely asked his name. "I don't talk to strangers." Wasn't it a little too much for a 4 year old boy?

I sighed. I opened my mouth to speak again when a loud horn interrupted me. I saw the car passing by us leaving behind a moment of gushing wind. I didnt want to interfere in unknown matters but this boy seemed to pull my heart strings. I yet again, sighed and passed him the ball.

I turned around and started walking towards my house. I slowly and steadily took my steps. When I reached my home, I shouted. "Im home."

And then I started walking towards my room. Once in my room I changed into a comfy pyjama and an oversized t-shirt. I knew umar was not in the home so without bothering to put on a scarf I went out to have something to eat.

I didnt even have lunch and I was hungry. As I was walking out I heard some clattering sound near the dining table. Did ma started eating without me?

By the sound I could make a guess that ma was not alone. Was umar home early today? I turned back to my room changed my t-shirt into a kurthi (top) and picked up a rather old shawl, wrapped it around my head and went out.

I took a closer look to the dining table and realised that ma was serving food to the boy who I met outside our house today. What was he doing here?

I cleared my throat when I neared them. Ma looked at me, an adorable smile dangling on her face where as the little boy stopped eating, his one hand in the air just near his mouth.