CHAPTER 6

Our peace is shunned with every step we take away from it, maybe to find a new peace within ourselves?

Nandini-
I sneaked a small glance in his direction to check whether he was feeling any better only to realise he was already looking at me.
We averted our eyes quickly, pretending none of that happened.
Through the corner of my eyes I could see someone watching me. When I looked, it wasn't Nikhil, as I subtly hoped. But Sagar with a devilish grin on his embellished features that made his twinkling eyes look all the more mischievous.
He cleared his throat, "ahem, I'm just going to pretend that didn't happen."

"Just how mom and dad pretend you don't fail all your classes," I retorted with a sharp mumble.

"I don't! There's nothing to pretend-"

"Of course there is. I have to pretend like we didn't pick you from the trash can thirteen years ago-"

"At least they chose me unlike not having a choice for a monkey like you-"

"Monkey? Huh, says the hooligan with hair made of toothbrush-"

"Whale."

"Hyena."

"Rabbit," he stuck his teeth out.

"Amoeba."

"How is that a bad thing?"

"It causes diarrhea."

"Amoeba does?"

"I'm sure you fail all your classes, Sagar."

It wasn't until a light smack on my head that I realised that the car was brimming with peals of laughter at our banter. Nikhil was shaking besides me, this time not with cold but with humourous breathlessness.
I don't know what that was, maybe his breathlessness sucked my breath away, but that had to be the most beautiful dimpled smile I had seen in years.
I shamefully looked away and out the window, blocking everything out with the world of music again.

Nikhil-

I stared in awe as we stepped on the lush green and freshly mowed lawn of the resort.
With cool air brushing my half naked arms, I felt a cold but soothing shiver drizzle past me. The subtle warmth on my shoulders made me realise that I was still draped in Nandini's shawl. A light whiff made her Ice Berg scented perfume mark its presence. It was soft and alluring, but light and fresh. Perfectly matched with the blue undertones of my shirt depicting its revitalising aura.

Gosh, I mentally smacked myself. So much description for a perfume?
I realised I must return her shawl. But didn't want to bother her again, when I saw Mrs. Rajput walk towards me. My breath caught up. Did I do something?

"Honey, your parents are waiting for you at the reception," she smiled.
She was draped in a Kanjivaram sari painted in soft orange and pink hues. Hair tied up in a middle parted bun and a black shawl with golden embroidery.

"Oh!" I huffed a relived breath out. "I'll be there," she was turning away—

"And Mrs. Rajput!"

"Yes?"

"I'd borrowed this shawl from Nandini in the car to help myself from cold. Could you return this to her, please? She had a jacket and mentioned the shawl was extra which is why she lent it," I found it important to mention the latter instead of having the slightest chances of looking like a boy who left a daughter feeling cold to get away from it himself. Selfish.

"Ah, yes," she gave a warm smile. "I was wondering where I had seen this shawl," she chuckled.

I gave a nervous laugh in return, which I hope wasn't as nervous as I felt.
"Please tell her I said thank you."

"Will do," she smiled pleasantly again.
"At the reception, okay?"

"Yes."
I smiled genuinely this time.

As I started walking towards the entrance of the hotel, I gasped lightly.
A few yards away from me, was a jolly, laughing, smiling, relaxed Nandini enjoying herself swaying from the swing.
I wanted a closer look.
Shut up, she hates you, let her live in peace.
But I can't help it! She's so beautiful.
My legs obeyed my heart and subconsciously carried me towards her. Dark brown hair flowing, doe shaped eyes shut, lips curling and spread in a wide smile, the girl in a fluffy velvet brown jacket was enjoying herself.

I walked towards and nearby swing and adjusted myself there. With a small push, I was swaying back and forth. Not as swiftly and as elated as her, but I picked up pace and felt myself at par.

I noticed I was constantly staring because her eyes flared open when she noticed someone swinging besides her just as enthusiastically as she was.
I looked away, as did she.

"I see my shawl flew away as you swing," she said loudly. But only so that I could hear her over the air gushing last my ears.

"No! I returned it to your mother." I tried to smile but felt my face stuck behind the growing force of wind.

She said nothing.
"So you like swinging?"

She looked towards me and straight ahead.
"No. I enjoy the wind slapping my face in hopes that I fall and break my head."

I bit my lip from cringing.
I noticed her slowing her pace and coming to a halt.
I couldn't help but ask for her to wait in a rush.
"Hey! Wait!"

"Why? Seems like you do enjoy swinging," she kept walking away without looking behind.

"I don't. I was there for you." I dragged myself to a stop.
Stupid. Idiot. Duffer. Buffoon.

She stopped and turned around slightly. Eyes piercing into mine. But this time I didn't see any signs of dislike or contempt. She wasn't smiling, but her eyes gave away a mischievous glint. She walked away without turning once towards the reception. I followed.

Oh no! Parents were waiting already!

I ran.

Author's note:
Lovely love,
Mansi.

Author's note: Lovely love, Mansi