CHAPTER 39

She kept on walking towards me, as the distance between us started to decrease even further.

I tried my best to get up but I couldn't.
In no time she was staring right back at my face with that wicked smile.

She held my hand and slid it upwards towards my face with the horrendous smile of hers on. I could feel the wet blood on her palms which was flowing out from that fresh scars and scratches. Her flesh felt sticky. It was disgusting!

I was out of my wits. A chill ran down through my spine as her cold, wet hands ran through my face and down towards my neck. She grasped it as tight as she could.

All I could do was to scream and struggle.
"Niki just get lost.... Move away!"
I pushed her stomach with one hand and got out of her grasp.

Soon my parents came running out.
I stood up on my feet. Niki was no where to be seen.

"Dad!" I ran up to him holding my breath. I held his hand.
"Niki!"

"What happened to Niki?" My mother asked shocked.

"She was horrible....She looked dead! She tried to kill me.... She was holding me here... Like this..." I pointed towards my neck.
"See do you see this blood? Huh? This is Niki's!"

My father was rubbing my back.
"Nikhil calm down child!"

I was breathing heavily...

I rubbed my neck back and forth. I yet felt choked.

I sprinted towards my mother.
"Mom! Do you see this blood? That blood was Niki's... She says that Mahanandan killed her! Mom she had no eyes! Why don't you reply God damn it?!"

"Nikhil. You are fine child... There is no blood anywhere! Niki is in the room sleeping..."

I stepped back...
"You're lying! I just saw her...."
I placed my hand on the mouth wiping the sweat off...

I then saw Niki coming out of the room...
I heard her say in a sleepy tone.. "Hey brother! Why are you shouting like a maniac in the middle of the night huh?"

"Niki? How did you come out of the room?"
I reluctantly stepped forward peeping inside the room.
As I walked into the room examining her bed her eyes followed me everywhere.

She walked up to me furiously.
"What are you up to Nikhil? What's wrong? Stop looking at me like that and shut your mouth!"

That's when I noticed then my mouth was left open gaping at her.

I poked her arm to check if she was real.
She looked really annoyed but kept on observing my expressions....

She looked extremely normal. That wicked smile had vanished and her body seemed to have healed from all the wounds that she had suffered.

I pulled her in a tight hug. I felt so happy. So very relieved. She was not dead!

My mother patted my shoulder, "Come child.... Now let's go to sleep. Maybe you were suffering from hallucinations... Or then it was a nightmare."
She gave me a warm smile.

I believed her. Maybe she was right. I was so worried about Nandini and after I saw Mahanandan....along with experiencing all the paranormal activities.

I went back to my room.
I tried to squeeze my eyes shut. My mother sat besides me staying awake. Maybe she would do the same until I would go back to sleep. But I knew that this was difficult.... I pretended to sleep until she walked back to her bed.

I opened my eyes and sat on my bed trying to figure out all that I went through. I was rubbing my palms back and forth on the mattress unable to help my brain process. How could I save Nandini?