Charading like Chess

"I'm almost jealous. He knows things about you that I didn't even know."

~*~

Standing before Barbarossa's desk, Sinbad announces, "I would like to buy that island!"

You,  one of your guards, and Ja'far stand with Sinbad. Barbarossa looks at  your group questioningly. He verifies what he just heard, which Sinbad  affirms.

"Really? Wouldn't you rather return to your company to discuss things?"

Sinbad  responds, "You make a good point. We plan to do so, but I'm sure they  will come to the same decision so I'd like to get the ball rolling  before we head back."

Ja'far says, "I've made the preliminary  calculations. The business it would create would net us an enormous  profit. This is a huge opportunity, I have no objections."

Barbarossa blinks. "I see...If that's the case, then I accept."

Sinbad  exclaims, "Excellent! If you don't mind, could we go take a look again  for due diligence? Princess (y/n) was unable to join us last time, and  I'd like her perspective on how we plan to have things laid out. I know  you are terribly busy and have generously assisted us with lots of your  time already."

Barbarossa gives you a sideways glance before  returning his gaze to Sinbad. "That should not be a problem. But Sinbad,  haven't you looked it over enough? Last night, I received a report that  you had been spotted over the island."

Ja'far gasps, "Sin! Did you do something like that?! Without permission?!"

"I don't mind..." Barbarossa soothes, "...I was just worried. After all, that place   hasn't been cleaned up." Sinbad jerks a bit, but tries to keep his  composure. Barbarossa continues, "Sinbad...did you see something there?"  The man gives a little smirk at the tension he just caused. There's a  feeling like he wants Sinbad to know what happened to his village. Some  psychological hold he could keep over him.

"...No. There wasn't  anything to see." Sinbad looks at the floor. "I'm just so excited, I  couldn't sleep last night so I took a brief flight over."

"Heh. That would be why your eyes are red and puffy today," Barbarossa chuckles.

Subconsciously, Sinbad brings a hand up to his face. "I should be able to sleep better as the reality sets in."

Barbarossa  gives a half smile and stands. "Well, let's head over now, shall we?  Oh, and I do believe 'congratulations' are in order." Your party looks  at him questioningly. He continues, "On your betrothal to the Princess  here."

Sinbad puts a hand to the back of his head. "Wow, news travels fast. We haven't exactly made it official yet."

"Of  course. I'm sure that will be taken care of when you return to Balbadd,  but in the meantime, I wanted to let you know that you don't have to  keep it a secret from me." Barbarossa's eye twinkles sinisterly.

Sinbad  thanks Barbarossa for his wishes then Ja'far tugs on Sinbad's elbow.  "If you'll excuse us for a moment, there are some things I need to  confer with Sin about. We'll meet up with you in a bit."

Barbarossa  takes your arm and holds it in an escort manner. "That is all right. I  am sure the Princess will be happy to help me make arrangements for a  carriage. We shall meet you outside."

Ja'far nods to him then  takes Sinbad out for interrogation. All save for your escort, you are  now alone with Barbarossa. He turns to you.

"Just what are you playing at?" he hisses.