Anticipating an Adventure

"We do have some cards on board. I could teach you a few games."

~*~

The sun beats down relentlessly. The air is hot and stale. You lie on the deck, sprawled out as you search for wisps of moisture in the cloudless sky. The most you can find is the sweat sliding down your face; you can't even remember what a breeze feels like.

This voyage was taking a lot longer than sailing to Partevia. This was worse than being stuck in your room! At least there you had all the resources to occupy yourself with something. But for this trip you were told to only bring essentials, which was chosen for you–only a few raggedy outfits that could be ruined without worry.

"Awwwww! This is sooooo boring!" you moan.

Sinbad jokes, "If you want, I can turn this boat around and take you back home. We haven't passed the point of no return yet, right Masrur?"

"Right," the Fanalis states while he attentively steers the ship.

"Point of no return?!?!" you shriek, sitting up. You twist and look at Sinbad, using a hand to shade the sun from your eyes. "We're going home after we pick up our new citizens aren't we?!"

A shadow approaches, blocking the sun so you can rest your hand. It is Ja'far.

He explains, "It's a term meaning having enough supplies to make it back should you turn around prematurely. Said point is typically halfway to your destination."

Your jaw drops. "You mean we're not even halfway there yet?!?!"

"It's a big world out here!" Sinbad laughs, arms akimbo.

"Don't worry, we have loaded as much as the boat could carry since the Dark Continent is vastly barren and won't be able to replenish that much for the trip home," consoles Ja'far, "Unless something dire happens, we shouldn't have to worry about a point of no return along this course."

"So how long is this going to take?" you ask.

Upbeatedly, Sinbad says, "You wanted to travel. This is the bulk of what traveling is like."

"Can't we get boarded by pirates or something exciting like that?" you groan.

Sure after the boat was ship shape, there was a lot of time to spar with the boys. But even that has gotten monotonous as you are sure they are holding back on you. You've repeated the same repertoires over and over to death. You crave a real opponent to test your skills.

"Not too likely this far south," says Sinbad.

"Sea monsters?"

"That actually is possible. One reason why not many travel this route to the Dark Continent."

Ja'far points out, "Although while you're praying for excitement, it would be better to encounter them when our supplies are low. That way it won't be a waste."

You flop back on the deck. "Ugh! Sooooo bored!!! What do you guys do when all the boat chores are done?"

Sinbad suggests, "We do have some cards on board. I could teach you a few games."

"Sin! You can't have her do something as distasteful as that!" reprimands Ja'far.

"It would be just for fun," Sinbad shrugs it off innocently.

Timidly, you scratch your cheek as you admit, "Well...I play a mean game of solitaire."

"Well all right!" Sinbad claps his hands together. "Sounds like you have a good foundation to learn some new tricks." He offers you a hand to help you stand then leads you towards the cabins. "Right this way, my lady."