Hennessy Hayes

TWENTY

"All initiates report for final testing."

Looking at my friends, I took Ronnie's had from the opposite side of the table as Angel took Harry's.
"To the bitter end? "Harry said as we kicked our legs over the bench and left the canteen.

The other initiates in our class sat on the metal benches outside the large glass testing room, my leg bounced up and down as we watched Maddie take on her fear. She was a Dauntless born with a Twin brother Charlie who appeared scared for her.
We watched her flinch in her fear for twenty minutes which averages out at a minute a fear. She sat up gasping, hitting her legs and arms as if there was something there.
Four opened the door for her to leave then stood there with his clipboard looking at his notes then at us.

"Ronnie."

We squeezed her hand as she followed Four into the room that was full of Dauntless leaders and other high-ranking members.

Angel coughed, "So, have you and him been on that date yet?"
I shuck my head," It's on the cards but I haven't seen him in a week with training and whatever leaders do this time of year."

"But after?" She asked, "Sorry, I'm trying to calm down and your love life is the best I got."
I nodded, "Maybe, it's hard to go out anywhere until this is over cause I don't want to be known as his girlfriend."
Harry nodded," She has a point."
Looking over, Ronnie kept twitching as she faced her fears – one of the dauntless leaders watched shuddered at what she was watching. They must share a common fear.
Angel hummed, "Maybe – but what I do know is that we should move in together."
Harry laughed," No."
Angel looked at us," Why not? We would get a large apartment for the four of us or split into two."
Harry looked at us," Fine, but - I'm calling for some more guys cause I'm not listening to three girls for the rest of my life."
"Who?" I asked.
There was a cough behind us. Bran and Charlie looked at us with wicked smiles.
"We'll volunteer." Charlie smiled," Charlie, Dauntless born, sorry for the lack of introduction, I like space."
I nodded," I like him."
Ronnie exits the room, sweat on her forehead as she shakes violently. Lauren took her by the shoulders, our friend gave us a little wave as she was led away.

"Hennessey."

I swallowed and nodded, patting Angel and Harry's legs as I stood up and followed for to the middle of the room.
"You got this." Four said," As long as your time is around ten minutes, you're in."
I creased my eyebrows," Why ten?"
"You gave five main fears, that's two minutes a fear." He explained," Good luck and think like a dauntless."
He stopped walking with me as I sat in the chair.
Eric walked over, holding the needle with the serum inside, "Ready?"
I nodded slowly," After this, you owe me a drink."
"Sure." He said, without smiling," if you pass, I'll cook you dinner."
I smiled," You cook?"
"A lot of things you don't know – like I didn't know you changed your name." He shrugged," See you on the other side, Vessa."

Getting comfortable on the chair, I rolled my ankle once then leaned back on the chair.

I was in the city streets – a place where most of my fears took place. Dressed in official dauntless attire, an empty holster and a thick leather army jacket – it was different from my usual look of ribbed jeans, top and boots.
My blood shuddered as the horrid cackle echoed through the streets. Taking the gun from its holder; I held it up taking smalls steps in circles looking down each street.
It walked closer, it had sunken eyes with red lines down the middle- a mask on the bottom of his face with a wide toothy smile and three tufts of hair coming out of his scalp.
"Fuck this," I shouted as the bloody thing started to run at me.
In instinct, I ran in the opposite direction – looking over my shoulder I turned down the alleyway and hid behind the bins. Taking short breathes, I cracked my knuckles. The point of his oversized shoes came into view, I pounced punching him in the face. When it was down, the bottom of his mask slipping showing his half-melted face. Using a broken pipe, I swiped him across the face – breathing heavily as I beat the shit out of him.
Dropping the pipe, it clattered on the ground as I walked away back onto the city streets.