Witty banter.

"Your bitch is a twat" Et spat the words out hatefully. Ethan struck his zippo and leaned over to light the cigarette she placed in her mouth.

"I bumming one of these," he said stealing one of her vice sticks before she had a chance to respond, he continued their conversation with a question.

" Isn't it a little antifeminist to refer to my girlfriend as my bitch?"

"She is a bitch, not at all girlfriend material. I don't accept that she's your girlfriend. Seriously Ethan, how can you be with such a shrew?" Et countered, Ethan wasn't sure if she was angry or hurt, he decided it was a mixture of both emotions.

"I'm trying to tame her." He deadpanned.

She barked out a laugh and took a lengthy drag on her cigarette.

"Referencing shakespeare are we? Fancy. you're extra adorable when you're intelligent" She smiled, but was still clearly angry.

"I aim to please milady" He said, smiling at her smile, hoping to cheer her up.

"Shakespeare reminds me of the monster" Et sighed.

"Why?" He asked. He knew it had been about half a year since her and the man he only knew as "the monster" parted ways. She still hadn't elaborated on the story of him and how he became the monster.

"He used to say one of his favorite memories of me was when I was telling him about my deep love for hamlet."

"You love hamlet? No one loves Hamlet." He reasoned.

"Ophelia did"

"See where that got her?"

"I'm kinda an ophelia" She confessed.

"I always figured you were more of a swan princess" He joked, making a punchline from her name.

"Haha, I'm pretty sure she kills herself. So tragic lover either way baby." She laughed darkly.

" Oh. Well the best loves aren't tragic" He stated surely.

"Write an amazing love story that isn't tragic and then I'll believe you." She challenged.

"My love for you isn't tragic." He said.

"Everything I touch is tainted with tragedy my love, and I'm pretty sure best friend love doesn't count." She replied.

She walked inside with a sad dance like meander, and grabbed the bottle of Jack by the neck and went upstairs to her loft.

He knew it was closing time, he wanted to offer Betsy a hand with locking up but was pretty sure it would be best if he collected Xana and left.

He decided to ask her in the car what she did to upset Et so much.