Chapter 16

I had a momentary breakdown, adrenaline took over and I destroyed everything I came in contact with.

I ran through every small road in the town, which was more like a village, screaming for Teddy.

The sun was starting to go down and the streetlights weren't on yet.

I could barely see in the distance.

Thomas tried to calm me down but all I could do was scream and throw my fists around until I could see straight.

Have you ever had such a blinding rage that your sight just went to shit, all your brain cells exploded at the same time and you lost your hearing?

It happens.

I lost my footing and buried my head into the ground and gasped for air.

I cried for everything I just lost when Thomas told me we still have Zara.

Thomas directed me to her leaning up against a wall that he had dragged her to before running after me.

I grabbed her pale face and promised I'd find Teddy, her lip trembled before she passed out again.

We got her to the animal clinic nearby so Jane could work on her, the bullet didn't hit anything life-threatening and exited on impact.

Thank god.

My girl lay on the metal table, blood coating her face, hair and body. Jane was able to insert an IV into her and get to work on her wound.

We were pretty lucky that Thomas found this place a few months ago, when he went looking for stuff to help with the birth.

Jane told me to get out because I kept pacing, shouting at her to wake up.

She needs rest, I get it. Our kid is out there with someone and I have no idea where to look first.

Thomas has stayed silent the whole time, a burst lip is all he got off with while Jane hobbles about on a broken leg.

I grab Thomas by the hood and dragged him out the door and away from the building.

"What did Drew mean?" I spit at him, hand clenched around his windpipe.

The gurgling and choking noises make me release my hold and he falls to the ground.

"If you don't tell me then I have no problem snapping your bones, one by one," I warn, towering over him.

I'm trying to not replay the moment, seconds before Crawford's lifeless body lay in front of me.

"He's a fucking psychopath, Theo. He probably wanted to mess with your head and it's working." He replies, rubbing his neck and scowling at me.

"How did you get away? I turned around when I heard... how did you get away, you were outnumbered?" I swallow the lump down.

"Theo, she's done. Let me clean and stitch that up for you before it gets infected." Jane calls out, hopping on one leg at the entrance of the clinic.

That woman is a fucking saint.

"We aren't finished here, mate." I point at Thomas and head in, wiping the blood from my face that's still dripping.

I sit down on the chair next to Zara's sedated self, bandaged up and clean.

"Will she be OK?" I ask a very calm Jane.

"Yes, she needs to rest but she'll be OK." She nods, wiping my face down and inspecting the deep gash. "This will scar. It needs about ten stitches."